Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VPN and Internet access stuff

• Please log in to reply

peter pan1

peter pan1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Everyone,

I’m new to this site, but it all looks good, hope you can help me.

I’ve got a broadband connection that is paid for by the company I work for. When I set it up, I had to give passwords usernames etc and I know that when I’m using my company laptop they can monitor what pages I go on, email etc.

However, I also have a private laptop that I’d like to use to be able to surf the internet (without my company watching). I just plugged the DSL connection in the back and it seems to work fine even though I haven’t installed any software given to me by my company on my private laptop.

So my question is, will they be able to monitor what I’m doing even though I don’t go through their VPN? My concern is that they can still monitor me through information my router has, or my service provider has (BT)?

Can anyone shed any light on this subject for me, as I’m really unsure as how this whole thing works and I don’t want to get in trouble with work!!

Many thanks for your anticipated help

John

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi peter,

If this is just a broadband connection provided by an ISP like Comcast your employer is not likely to know that the pc they provided you is connected unless you are connected to their network via VPN. They probably have no issue with your using the connection when not working and would probably prefer you use your own pc for your private surfing and research as to not compermise their machine.

You might want to ask them to be sure of their policies on such things, but I can't imagine they would have an issue with it.

Optikal

Optikal

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I've always liked a fair amount of privacy, using a VPN for sharing (google hamachi)files and whatnot, if modifying your browser for anonymous searching is too time consuming, try using a browser that doesn't leave any trace of your searches on your pc(google browzar) ie No cache, history anything, nice and clean.
Silverbeard has a good point, unless you are connected to their network, they are unlikely to know.