Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Inconsistent Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply

pentana83

pentana83

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi. I hope someone can help me out with my problem. I am getting fairly frustrated and want to avoid formatting (if that would help).

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 on a Toshiba Satellite with an 1.2 GHz Celeron. I am using a D-Link DWL-G650 Airplus Xtreme G Wireless Adapter. Also, there are two linked wireless routers. The router I have my connection off of branches off from the other, which is connected through a Voip Gateway to our cable modem. There are 3 other computers that use this network (3 wireless, 1 desktop connected directly to the first wireless router), and none of the others seem to be experiencing my problem. Oh, and there is an XBox hardlined to the router I am using.

Now, I can go to UCF and my internet functions normally. Outlook, AIM, IE (6.02900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), everything works as it is supposed to, without interruption.

When I return home, though, the connection works intermittently. Sometimes the connection will be fine for hours, and then it will last less than a minute repeatedly. But, I never receive notice of my connection being lost. The D-Link software claims I have good signal strength, and windows tells me that I am transferring at 108.0 Mbps with excellent signal strength, but Outlook won't be able to connet, IE will not connect, AIM gets disconnected, and I either have to wait some seemingly arbitrary amount of time or I have to disconnect from and reconnect to the wireless network. Also, the first router on the network is transmitting wireless b, and the one I am (a D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DI-624) on is transmitting wireless g only. I can't get the number from the wireless b router right now. It is also a D-Link, as well as the Voip Gateway.

Also, I am running Ad-Aware and Microsoft Anti-Spyware. I don't know if either of those might cause this problem. Norton Antivirus hasn't picked anything up either, and Anti-Spyware and Ad-Aware also claim to have removed everything from my comp. (I have deleted the quarantined files.)

I don't know if you need any other information. Also, this is set up to be a DHCP network, si I don't think I have an IP Address conflict (windows hasn't complained recently, and I renewed my IP address anyway, to no avail).

Advertisements

pentana83

pentana83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
A few modifications to my original post. The wireless b router is a D-Link DI-614. It's IP address is 192.168.0.1, and the DI-624's IP address is 192.168.0.199. The 624 is connected to the 614 via a crossover cable. (The crossover cable is not connected to a WAN port on either router.) Also, the problem is experienced, but far less often, on my brother's Dell Inspiron 5150 (NIC: Dell TrueMobile 1300 Wireless b/g miniPCI).

Also, AIM will continue to run as if it is connected for some time, but always gets disconnected when i tell my comp to disconnect from the wireless network.