Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Remove applications from new laptop

• Please log in to reply

cmaldona

cmaldona

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello Guys,

I just purchased a new Toshiba Satellite and need to remove a good number of applications that came from Toshiba and other vendors. Here is my HJT report:

Please do not post hijack this logs in any other forum than the malware forum as it will incourage others to do so as well. Your log has been removed and re-attached as a text file

Edited by dsenette, 26 October 2006 - 02:01 PM.

Advertisements

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Well ok so we can see a load of programs but what exacly do you want help doing? Can you not just uninstall then like normal?

cmaldona

cmaldona

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yes, the question may sound silly but I do not want to remove any programs that could be needed to run the lap top. Toshiba is not the best place to ask since these are their programs (probably to monitor what you do).

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Ok well could you name the programs you want to remove and ill try and tell you yes/no/maybe on removing them. ok?

Optikal

Optikal

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I find it best when dealing with a new laptop(usaully pre-installed windows) to delete msn-control panel-add remove list, delete any obvious extras, head off to your c:(c drive) - delete the folder VALUEADD(can't recall the exact name), this folder holds what the pc manufacturer thinks of as valueable additions I assume, often a folder called dotnetfw is also in c drive, this is the .Net framework, deleting this is safe, if you use any software requiring the .Net framework then you should download the latest version. Different companies put different folders into c drive(windows home). All you need in that drive to run your pc is - Documents and Settings - WINDOWS and Program Files (Some will see a folder i386, deleting this will do alot of nothing). Searching the Programs Folder is next, Delete the folder MSN as doing it from the add/remove list doesn't cut it. Anything that looks suspect ie You don't need eg ARCADE ( a media player bundled with some laptops) delete, after the clean up, clean your registry, startup list and history. Most laptops have ghosted partitions for the magic reset(alt f10 during boot) button, ie If you delete too much or something you shouldn't have, and restore won't fix it you can reset to factory default. A decent firewall should let you know if your new laptop is phoning home too :whistling:

cmaldona

cmaldona

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Wow, this is great. I will follow your advise and hopefully recup some of the wasted space with these programs. Your comments are highly appreciated.