Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about my wireless network...

• Please log in to reply

autiger678

autiger678

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm on a wireless network at the University of West Alabama. Regular browsing is pretty slow - 11 mbps - but I know that the network is capable of more. At times when I was using Limewire I would consistently be downloading at 150-170 kbps. However, this never happens anymore. Is there anyway I can get around the limitations set on the network to maximize the speed of this network. I realize this topic is pretty broad but I figured you might have a few helpful hints or that it may be something simple. The internet here is so slow that I cannot even use my X-Box Live account. Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Two things:

1) We don't help with P2P, which Limewire is classed as. See the T&Cs of the site.

2) Please remember that you're not the only one at the university and many other people will be using the connection as well. Therefore if you're on at a time when everybody else is, there's only a finite amount of bandwidth to go round.

autiger678

autiger678

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I understand, I dont want any help with limewire. Actually I've gotten rid of it with my recent computer problems. I was just wondering if there was anyway I could change settings so that simple internet browsing would go faster.

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts

Is there anyway I can get around the limitations set on the network

As a student, I don't think you should be trying to get around anything set up by your university.

Actually I've gotten rid of it with my recent computer problems.

Is it possible that you still have problems w/your computer. Getting rid of a P2P program does not get rid of what you may have "found".
Clean your house first, then look outside to see if you can make it faster.