Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Constant Low Connectivity warning

• Please log in to reply

James vanden Hoven

James vanden Hoven

• Pip
  • 5 posts
[font=Comic Sans Ms] I have a fairly new Compaq Laptop and I have a wireless network in my office. The compaq runs a WIndows XP home edition software. I can sometimes get good connectivity, but more often than not it is low. How can I fix this? I also have an HP Laptop which is als fairly new and its wireless connection is not a problem, it has always had a high connectivity. I am not sure what to do. I have tried to repair the connection and nothing seems to have changed. I checked the Network Connections to make sure it was the default connection. And it is. I am nut sure what else to try!! I even Rebooted the Laptop thinking it might reset the wireless adapter.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
If I understand your question correctly you want a better signal on your wireless card. Have you tried moving around and closer to the wireless router to see where you get the best reception then look where you were and see if something could be interfering with the signal.

Hope thats what you meant!

James vanden Hoven

James vanden Hoven

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the idea and yeah I would like a better signal, but it doesn't really explain why the HP works better than the compaq. The HP is against the wall with no windows, and the Compaq is right by the window. The internet I have is satelite internet. I have a router in the office and all computers are in full view of the router, both connected and Wireless. I liked the Idea, and I tried it, but it seems that moving it around did not help much. Any other Ideas, this one has me stumped.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
The wireless adapter is probably different between the HP and the Compaq. The Compaq's is probably just weaker. If you still want to do wireless, consider buying an internal or external adapter. It would probably help.

James vanden Hoven

James vanden Hoven

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the help, that is what I though but I figured it couldn't hurt to help. Is there any kind of Adapters that are worth checking out? I want to make sure that I get the right one. I was also wondering if I could just pick up a booster of some kind and would that help?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
A booster might help, however, if the PCs are next to each other and one gets better singal, I'd that that the one with the weak singal probably has a weak adapter... A booster might help. No guarantee on any of it though, you never know with some of these things. I myself would try to stick with the same adapter manufacturer as the router.