Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Children do something wrong, they get bail. Adults do something they g

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Children do something wrong, they get bail. Adults do something they get jail.
I'm just curious if i'm the only person thats fustrated about this. Our justice system here in canada is run by idoits (don't know if its the same as elsewhere, however i'm sure it is......).
Last febuary someone was driving drunk at 120km/h in a 60km/h zone and ran a man over and killed him instantly. He was granted bail 2 days later, all he was given as a punishment was 50 hours for councoling.
What? :)
In June, a kid was bullying another child my age, the victim tried running away, and a car hit him. He was killed. The bully was told not to do it again.
SORRY.....WHAT?! :rofl:
Just last week, a couple of kids pushed a phyisically handicaped kid off his chair into a shed, locked the doors and set it a flame, they where 8 years old. The parents did nothing. As for the police, they couldn't do as much as tap them on the rist with thier finger.
Umm......
:whistling:
I live in the car theft capital of north america. 80% of the thefts are done by kids under 18, 90% of those kids have been in and out of the police station 15 times. But the police can't do anything about them because of curent laws which forbide them to do so. :blink:
:help:
What i'm getting to here is that, over the years kids grow up, some having parents not caring where they are at all hours of the night. Am i the only one here that believes that its time for change. Its time that childrens names be revield after thier 2nd offence. That they be punished as an adult after thier 3rd?
Am I the only one who believes that after an adults comits a serious crime 3 times that they should forever remain in jail, because they have proven they can't be trusted.
As you can tell i'm curently enraged at how little our gouverment does as a hole to protect others, when they know they are doing something wrong. When your 10 you know the difference between right and wrong. To me a child over the age of 11 should be punished as an adult. They know stealing, murder and harm to others is wrong, so why let them get away with it. It'll only get worse in the future as they begin to relize that they can get away with everything and anything. Why should we teach the generation of tomorrow that crime pays.
James

Edited by james_8970, 23 October 2006 - 03:24 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
personally...i think it's time for parents to wake up and do their jobs...the reason the court systems in most places don't handle juvenile offences/offenders very well is because historically they haven't had to...it's only within the past few decades (probably started in the 80's....like the rest of the world's problems) that juvenile delinquency has turned into juvenile crime........back in the "day" (such as the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's) children would NEVER have thought about doing the things that kids do today...why? because their parents (even neglect full workaholic dad's who never hugged their children) DICIPLINED their own children....IF a kid got caught by the cops doing something...the police didn't need to worry about "what to do with the youngster" they knew that telling their parents was a worse punishment than jail...because telling their parents actually did something...

i was in a wal-mart the other day...and there was a kid raising absolute bedlam...throwing things...breaking things and going ballistic in the store...the kid was obviously not with his parents (maybe a nanny or a relative or something...but not mom and dad)...the care taker of the child wasn't doing much to curtail the kids actions but kept saying "I'll tell your mom and dad when we get home how you behaved" to which the kid replied "i don't give a <expletive> what you tell that <expletive>...they won't do anything to me"....and I'm SURE that this is h ow this kid lives....with no boundaries or borders...probably never been punished in his life (by the way...the kid was no more than 12...and obviously wasn't the poorest kid on the block)

it's not a failing court system that's to blame here....(though the courts SHOULD be taking up the slack that the parents are passing on)...it's the mentality that kids...just by being kids...can do no wrong....the idea that discipline of any kind can now be reported at abuse is what's to blame.... parent's no longer take the responsibility for their children's actions...and children no longer care how their actions effect anyone but themselves....we're (the western society) raising our kids with this "take care of number 1" attitude that can ONLY make things worse...all children these days feel "entitled" to everything without having to earn a thing...or without any regards to their actions....kids get toys by throwing tantrums...and they get out of jail time because they're "minors"....parents in our society need to wake up before anything will get better.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If i had done any of the above when i was younger even now i would have known it my dad would have sorted me out sharpish , even know if i stole a car or anything like that i can be fairly sure he would beat the living daylights out of me and im in my second year of uni now. Would hurt as well hes getting sneaky now hes older fairly sure i wouldnt see it comin. Im also pretty sure i would get the same if he ever caught me smoking anything other than an occasional cigar.

But thats the problem especially with male children and teenagers, parents can do so little to discipline no matter what crap people spout corporal punishment works, worked for me and my behaviour was always better than my younger siblings who got off a little easier my sister got the least worse she ever got was a good bawling out and she is a terror at times. It shows who had old fashioned parents and who didn't these days.

You can be sure when i have kids theyll get a foot firmly up the backside when they badly misbehave.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
And when the kid pushes to the point that he should have an old fashioned spanking, like my generation was raised, we parents hesitate because if the kid goes to school and says "My mommy HIT me!" The school has to call Child Services, the nurse has to check him for marks, the courts can get involved and the kid is still sneaking cigarettes behind the barn, laughing a little harder.

My kids (ages 6 & 8) both brought home discipline slips yesterday from school. The boy for "tackling another student", the girl for "causing a disturbance in the hallway". I am the meanest mom on the planet, because I cancelled Trick or Treat and am returning their costumes to get my money back. Hit them where it hurts.

Johanna

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
meanest or most effective?....i don't live within striking distance of you...but if you told me to do something i would

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Ahh...monkey...don't tempt me... ;-) It might be fun to yank your chain.
Johanna

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

I am the meanest mom on the planet, because I cancelled Trick or Treat and am returning their costumes to get my money back. Hit them where it hurts.

Johanna

BRAVO, my friend! :whistling: Make them answer the door and hand out candy to all the OTHER kids. :blink:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Kids always whinge, and our version of child services suck so much nothing even happens when kids really do get abused so its unlikely, besides its still legal here to smack your children although there are guidelines something like you cant do it hard enough to actually leave a mark, basically it falls under the ain't no law broken if you don't get caught category. Thankfully there are still a few remaining strongholds of common sense in the legal system.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Thankfully there are still a few remaining strongholds of common sense in the legal system.

Not here in canada, if you kill a guy drunk you walk out of jail the next day. Rob a store you get 6 months.
James

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I had to make the decision that could affect a childs life forever. A nephew that was getting out of hand was dumped on me to fix. In this i failed miserably. I could not stop the stealing, lying, and uncouth behavior of this child. I ended up turning him in for stolen property and he now is in JDC( Juvenile Detention Center) awaiting a judge to either place him in a police boys camp of transfer him to a real jail. Since it is in the courts hands now, i rid myself of this person and if he sets foot on my property he shall be shot without compunction. Harsh treatment is what these people seek and around here it is what they get. Theaves, liars, and their consorts are not allowed in my life, so they can look elsewhere for their livelyhood. I am just glad that in Florida you can now shoot someone if they are on your property and threatening you with harm. At least now i do not have to drag their dead body into my house just to prove i needed to defend myself.

I could go on a long rant about the parents who don't care but then i'm boring and wasting my own time.

SRX660

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts

nephew

if my brother let a kid if he ever has them get like that ild kick his [bleep] for not knowing better. Then kicked the kids [bleep], then sorted him out the way i sort out trouble cadets, break em down and build em back up to somewhere near reasonable human beings.

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts

if he sets foot on my property he shall be shot without compunction

Quite a strong statement, I usually refrain from that type of conversation in public. It is a shame that people drive us to the breaking point, especially when its family or extended family.

A nephew that was getting out of hand was dumped on me to fix.

Thats a task that many of us are charged with, but few succeed. I was lucky once, and that young man graduated college, is gainfully employed and reminded daily of his success. He is my unofficial/not legally/ adopted son.

As humans, people, some-what intellegent life forms, whatever we are called today we need to try when asked to help a child. Failure is possible, and it hurts. If we don't, the problem gets worse.

For those of you that have kids, give them a hug every now and then.
Right before you re-install those rules that have been broken.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yes, Harrythook, it is very strong. Problem is after spending well over $1000 on psychologists, psychiatrists, and bonds to get him out of JDC, I have given up. My 800 CD record collection is half missing even tho it was in locked cabinets. One of my restored 1978 Kawasaki KZ-750 Twin motorcycles has been destroyed by running it into a wall with the fork lock still locked. And the list goes on and on. Sometimes you just have to give up even if it is family. Now i have been threatened with bodily harm for sending him to JDC to stay until he is 18 in 3 more years. I do hope to never see him again in my life because if i do the first impulse is to get my gun to defend myself. He has already attacked me and found much to his surprise that i am much faster and more vicious than he thought i would be. And he still tried to have me arrested for defending myself from his assault. The really bad part of this is his father( my brother) is one of the nicest persons there is. The son chose his friends and decided that the wild side was more exciting than real life. So now he pays for his beliefs, and i wash my hands of him. Yes, i feel bad about failing, but enough is enough when every chance is given to him to change his behavior.

SRX660

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts

Yes, i feel bad about failing,

NOT trying would be failure, and as you gave up quite a bit of your life dealing with this, you have succeded. The is no way to force change on some people, although we try really hard sometimes.
At least you tried to help, and that says a lot about you!

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Children are immature and think they rule the world due to unbalanced hormonal problems (me especially). We are allowed. Adults however are stereotypically responsible for their actions and therefore should pay the consequences. Be relieved at the fact that when they hit 18 they fall into the same boat as you. If you were a child would you not be grateful for this? However, some dudes just need doing over, not by law, by fist lol.

Edited by StudentBusiness12, 26 October 2006 - 03:28 PM.