Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New RAM

• Please log in to reply

astr21

astr21

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey, I'd like to know what the best RAM upgrade (money and size) for me would be. I play games so I'd like to know what kind of RAM is best for that. Have any suggestions?

Dell 4700

Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz

512 Mb RAM (Dell)
400 Mhz

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Here's a source of the information I have: http://www.crucial.c...ion 4700 Series ... First, how many RAM stucks are currently installed? Two? Also, how much more do you want? What kind of games do you play?

astr21

astr21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
1: I only have one 512 stick. 2: Anything past 1 Mb but probably not 2. 3: flight simulators, RTS, and a few FPS. Just looking for good all around performance though.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
http://www.crucial.c...C3F16F8A5CA7304

That would be your best bet and would keep the overall cost down. I wouldnt get any memory until I found out what speed your current memory runs at.

There is ddr2 533, ddr2 667, and ddr2 800 at crucial.com. You need to find out what your current memory speed it because if it happens to be lower or higher speed ram than what you upgrade with then all of the memory sticks will run at the slowest memory stick speed.

Example if you already have lets say the ddr2 533 ram and you install ddr2 667 ram for the upgrade all of the memory will run at the 533mhz speed.

What im trying to say is match up the memory speed with what you already have.

astr21

astr21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It's DDR2 SDRAM at 400 Mhz.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

It's DDR2 SDRAM at 400 Mhz.

Crucial doesnt even have DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 400 (PC2 3200) recommended memory for your pc.

All they have is ddr2 533, ddr2 667, and ddr2 800.

Any will work but I wouldnt get the 667 or 800 unless you take out your old ram because your old ram would slow down the new stuff.

Your best bet is to get the ddr2 533 like I posted above if you are gonna keep your old existing ram installed.