Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Admin. Right to other users

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I need to know if there is any where to set games to run with admin rights on limited users accounts?

This is why...

I have the admin account on my kids system (3 other accounts with limited accounts). Every game that I install for them will not run unless they (other accounts) are set as admin. This is with all games not just the older ones. I can open the game if I click "run as" then enter my account info. I really don't want them to know what the password for the admin account is.

Can I set all game to run on or as admin account?

BTW: I'm running windows xp pro.

Edited by duley3, 25 October 2006 - 05:13 AM.

Advertisements

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Anyone have an idea?

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Okay I noticed something different. Please read first post..

When I am logged on under one of the kids accounts and try to play the games in question. The game will start and show as running process in the task manager. But the screen never comes up to play the game. It never shows up in the applications tab either only the process tab. I know the program is running at this point because the usage is higher (50-60%) Why would this be?

My bigger fear is that they will delete a system file or something. Thats why I don't want them to have an Admin account or even have access to one.

So, If I can't make anything work with the above.

Can I set a password for the system files/folders and Program file? This way I could set them (Other 3 accounts) as Admins. and not have to worry about them deleting anything.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
No one like me ...???? :whistling: :blink:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i wish it were clear (at least to me) why some programs do this...it's a pain in the butt...some programs will only run as the user that installed them...i.e. the admin...

a couple ways that i've found around this are

A: when you go to install a program...change the "kid's" user account to an admin account...install the game/program...then change the user back to limited

b: write a simple batch file (a txt file with the extension changed to .bat"
that includes the runas command with the savecred switch

this batch would look like this:
runas /user:administrator "<full path to exe of the game>" /savecred

now...once you make that file in notepad and save it as a bat (when you click save as...make sure the file type is set to all files and include .bat at the end of the file name) double click it...a command window will open up asking for the administrator password...enter that...now the game will load....and since you put the /savecred switch....it will remember the admin password for that batch file and all the kids will have to do is double click that file to start the game up..instead of clicking on the normal game icon

Edited by dsenette, 26 October 2006 - 01:10 PM.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Thanks you very much. :whistling:

I will try your suggestion (A) first and see what happens. Then if this doesn't work Then I'll try (B).

Do you know if there is a program (free) somewhere that will Password Protect anything I want it to? Then I could use this if I could get the other suggestions to work.

Thanks again for the reply.