Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer has no Sound or either I'm deaf

• Please log in to reply

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Don't know what happened. My sound just quit working.

My computer is HP Pavilion model XE783. Operating system is ME.

I noticed this one day when I received a call while I was on the internet. I use Callwave and when my computer tried to play the message I received this message. "We're sorry, we can't find a sound device to play your file. Please click the help button for more information."

In system properties I noticed that I have an exclamation mark under Network Adapters next to WAN miniport (ATW).

Also under Sounds and Multimedia properties and can not move the sound slide bar no matter which sound Scheme I select.

I don't know what else to try.

I went to this HP website for my computer specs. http://h10025.www1.h...p;lang=en#N1136

For Sound/Audio it showed;
Compatibility = 3-D Stereo, PCI, 16-bit Sound
Controller = AMC97 Codec
Location = Crystal sound chip
Noise Cancellation = Yes
Line Out = Yes
3-D Spatializer = Yes
Wavetable = Yes
Tone Control = No
Microphone = With HP Pavilion Multimedia Display
Speakers = HP/Polk Audio "F" stereo speakers (left and right)

Please help.

Thanks
Waynesworld

Edited by Waynesworld, 23 October 2006 - 10:02 PM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
sounds like you need to reinstall the drivers.... you should be able to get them at the manufacturers website...

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I have never done that before is there a step by step process in order for me to keep from screwing things up.

Thanks
Wayneswold

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Sorry at the moment I don't have the time to find the driver for you but you should be able to find the driver at hp for your model. then you simply download it. After that it depends on what type of file it is. If it is an .exe file you should just double click it and follow the instructions..... If it is a .zip file, first make a directyory for it... right click where you want it and say new and folder. then move the file into it and right click the file and tell it to extract all. Once that is done look in the directory for a file called setup and run that.... if that doesn't work or you dont' have windows xp post back...

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
I have gone to HP's website and followed the instruction "resolving sound problems" and I still have no sound.

Could someone please help me?

Thanks
Wayne

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
have you tried reinstalling the driver?

Waynesworld

Waynesworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Yes, I followed the instruction for re-installing the driver from the HP recovery disc.

Did not help.

Wayne