Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What do you reckon

• Please log in to reply

rustyxb

rustyxb

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi everybody.
i decided i wanted to upgrade my ram in my computer so i thought i would look up what it could handle.
first off i searched my computer model it is a compaq presario s3270an and it said i could put a max of 1gb and had two ram slots.
and then out of curiousity i decided to look up what model my motherboard was and this is when things didnt make sense to me.
my bois is ami with a bois id of 63-307-0000010-00101111-042103-nforce-a7n8x000-yckc
so i downloaded that ami motherboard id program thing and it told me
SMBIOS info:
Manufacturer : ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Product Name : A7N8X-LA
Version : Rev 1.xx
Serial Number: X312345678
and the ami program also said that it was runnig a compaq bios not a ami but when i start my computer up it comes up with ami.
and i looked up this motherboard and it said it could handle 3gb and had three ram slots.
so just to check i download and ran the crucial ram program that tells you what ram to buy and it also said that at the moment 2 out of 3 of my ram slot were taken up and i could put a max of 3gb in it
Each memory slot can hold:
DDR PC3200,DDR PC2700,DDR PC4000 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.
Maximum Memory Capacity: 3072MB
Currently Installed Memory: 512 MB
Available Memory Slots:1
Number of Banks: 3
Dual Channel Support: No
CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
CPU Family: AMD Athlon™ XP 2800+ Model 10, Stepping 0
CPU Speed: 2079 MHz

but when i opened up my computer it only had 2 slots (i think very new to this)
how do i find out what my motherboard really is and what ram can i put in it. can i put pc3200 instead of pc2700 because i cant find pc2700 for sell where i live

cheers

Edited by rustyxb, 23 October 2006 - 10:31 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Looks like Compaq had the boards modified to there specification removing up gradability and using their own version of the AMI bios. If Compaq say it can only have a gig that's probably right, unfortunately you have encountered one of the tricks PC builders use to stop you upgrading and just get a new PC.

rustyxb

rustyxb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
the bios was change to ami i think at the computer shop when i took it into get fixed it came back with ami. do you know if i'm able to put pc3200 ram into it or should i search harder to find pc2700.