Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Problem/Error

• Please log in to reply

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I am building my first computer and I want to put into it a Geforce FX 6200 256MB Graphics Card. The problem occured that before the OS can even load the system shuts down. I don't know if the Graohics card is Bad or if it's because I cannot disable the Onboard VGA Port. The Motherboard is a P4 Titan series, GA-8vm800m-775 if that helps. Any Help is greatly Appreciated, Thanks.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
The mother board has an on board grapghics card that should work without the gforce.
Try to run without the card.
If it works then try to put in the gforce in.
If it still shutsdown then its the graphics card or it is something else.

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I've confirmed that the onboard does work and that it's when I try to put the card in that it re-boots, I was thinking that there was a conflict between the two devices that was causing the crash. That is why I was looking for help trying to disable the onboard, if needed, or figuring out what to do next. Thanks

System101

System101

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Have you checked to see if there is a Bios setting that may need to changed?

edit note** spelling error

Edited by System101, 24 October 2006 - 10:40 AM.

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I've been trying to find that setting, but to no avail as of yet, it's a little frustrating. Perhaps I do not know the correct terminology and it's right in front of me, but I cannot see it.

Would updating the BIOS or clearing the CMOS do anything?

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Updateing the bios might help but probubly won't.
Allready for P-3 mother boards they automaticly detect if u r useing an graphics card or on board.
Try the graphics card on another computer and c if works. that way u can tell if is the card or the board.

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
OK, I'll try it on another system, tried updating the BIOS and it didn't help, like you said. I'll see what happens next

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Tried it in another computer and it worked fine. I put it back into the system, performed a Format and all of a sudden it works perfectly. Not sure what this is all about but it's working now. Thanks to all those who helped out.

:whistling: