Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

outlook questions again

• Please log in to reply

old crow

old crow

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi... I'm glad this message board is patient for people like me who aren't very good at this sort of thing! Anyway, here's my question. I'd like to have messages from all of my friends delivered to my personal folder and my husband's messages delivered to his personal folder- we get a lot of emails everyday and it would be easier if they were pre-sorted. I tried the "create rule" window, where it appeared as though you could designate certain messages from certain people to get delivered into certain folders... but we've tested it and it doesn't work.

Any help would be appreciated...

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
??? That feature works....not sure why it's not.

The people in question...they are in your contacts or personal address book? (they are not the same thing, btw).

How is that other issue working out that we discussed last week?

old crow

old crow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ahhhh... that's my problem. No, the names were not in the contacts or address book. I've got them in "contacts" now- do they need to be in both in order to work?

Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
No, i do not believe so. But you do need to create the folders, selecting the person from the Contacts, info.

Outlook uses the contact info --name and especially email address--to filter the messages as the come in,

I use a slightly different method, which involves multiple PERSONAL FOLDERS, which is where I was going next if the above didn't work.

couriejegels

couriejegels

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
you see if you create rules you have to specify rules in outlook or outlook express you have to go to the account in the tools, accounts and name the specified account for example,( your husband "Joe" under accounts and in outlook when you create the folder in outlook should also be named "Joe"). So in the rule that you create for Outlook Express go's as follows:

Outlook Express:
- tools, message rules and chose mail
- say in the first block say " where the to line contain people"
- say in the second block you say "move to the specified folder"
- in the third block click contains people and type Joe say add
- then you say specify and chose the folder you made
It should work trust me.

Outlook:
-You add a blank rule and you start from scratch same proceed but after you specified you click on finishand it should work

It is quite simple any question just ask!

old crow

old crow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Not sure if it's working, as nobody from my list has emailed me yet. However, I'll let you know if it's not working. But I have another question... I have a huge list of people that I need to send a message out to, but I don't want their e-mail addresses showing in the "To" line, for privacy reasons (there's about 50 people on list. Very few are in my contacts). I tried using the Bcc line (blind carbon copy) but, after sending it to my main address and my hotmail address to test it, it only came to my main address. The hotmail address kicked out the message and I never received it. I thought that if I created a "distribution list" and gave it a name, that I could just put that in the "to" line and it would get mailed out to everyone on the list and all they would see was the Name that I had given the list. But no, it lists all the names in distribution list. That's why I used the Bcc option, but that didn't work. All this, and I'm supposed to be studying chemistry and don't really want to be messing around with my stupid computer anymore.

who said these things were timesaving?!?

old crow

old crow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Okay, I just got an email from one of the people (now, in my Contacts) that I wanted delivered to my personal folder, and their email was delivered to the main inbox instead! I checked the rules and it said "on this machine only" and gave the right address, and said to deliver to my personal folder upon delivery. I would have thought that it would have worked....

couriejegels

couriejegels

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
so have my suggestion work

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Before moving on, just so I know what your system is like....where are you having the messages placed

for you?
for hubby?

Please try to describe the folder structure. Better yet, a screencapture would be great

couriejegels

couriejegels

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
you see if you specify in the accounts and name the connecting and make a folder on the left hand side where inbox is and link the two together then it would work. See i know what i am doing because i work with this type of stuff evry day

Advertisements

old crow

old crow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Well, I'm having a bit of trouble- it said all my rules contained errors so I deleted them all and started over. I am using Outlook, not Outlook express so it may be a little different from what you suggested. However, it SHOULD be working... I'll have to wait for another email to find out, I guess!

Laura

couriejegels

couriejegels

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
give me your email adress and your hubbys then we can see. and did you do it the way i asked you.

old crow

old crow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
gerryf- I want the emails to go into my encrypted folder and my husband's to go into his personal folder- but I'll let him take care of that once I figure out how to do mine. He'll be sorting them into way more folders than me -- I only want them to go into my one folder for now (the encrypted one). I keep getting an error message- I have no idea how to do a screen capture....

couriejegel- I tried your suggestions and it still won't work... I don't understand how to do what you're asking. Maybe if it was laid out step (or click) by step according to Outlook, not outlook express.

Thanks

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
All you should have to do to set up outlook to move emails to certain folders is set up rules. If this is what you were doing before, then just ignore this, but here are the steps:

Select Tools-Organize
Go to the Create a rule field
Select from in the first box
Put the email address or contact name of the emails you want to move in the 2nd field
Select the folder you want the emails moved to in the last field.
Click Create

If this still isn't working for you, then I don't know what to tell you. I'm sure Gerry will be around later to help you out. In the meantime, there are a couple of ways to do screen captures. The easiest is to just press the Print Screen button. This will copy the screen to your clipboard. Then simply paste it into a word document. Hope this helps.

Good luck. :tazz:

old crow

old crow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Okay! Thanks! So I got it to work, as long as my password protected folder is open. If I have closed it, the computer gives me an error and delivers the emails to the regular inbox. Is there a way around that or do I have to just leave things the way they are? Sorry to be such a complete pain...