Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

outdated graphics drivers causing games to crash?

• Please log in to reply

Mark Holleley

Mark Holleley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok I ran the Crucial.com scan test. It said I have two 256MB cards in already which is right. It suggested three compatible cards that were 256MB PC3200, 512MB PC3200 and 1GB PC4000. Which would you advise me to go for? Getting the first one, I presume, would not make much of a difference?!

Also, is there any reason why my RAM used to be able to cope fine with these games and now struggles?

Thanks again!

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
If your unsure of what RAM you need use the Crucial system scanner on their website.
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/ It will scan your PC and tell you exactly what you need.

As for your graphics, i've had problems with the latest driver so i've gone back to 91.31. You might also want to install the latest Nforce chipset drivers. It's possible that it's not a driver issue and that the card is dodgy.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I have just looked at the motherboard specs and the graphics card is integrated which means dodgy RAM can cause this as it's using part of your main system RAM.

To use PC3200 RAM you'll need to get a AGP card as the specifications say that the motherboard needs an AGP card to be used for it to be able to use PC3200 RAM in dual channel mode. PC2700 RAM would work ok and you could keep using the existing integrated graphics card.

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 14 November 2006 - 05:33 AM.

Mark Hol

Mark Hol

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Zeus GB

So sorry it has taken my so so long to reply to your last post. It has been a really hectic few months because I changed jobs and so I haven't been on for a while!

OK, you mentioned in one of your posts below that I should download the latest NForce chipset drivers. Could you tell me where I can find this and how to download it? I had a look at the 'download drivers' section on the NVidia homepage and got a little confused which ones were for desktops computers and which were for notebooks etc.

Also, regarding RAM, I found another comment on this forum by someone saying 512MB RAM really wasn't much anymore. Is this true? Do you think I should add at least a 512MB card to boost this?

Thanks very much for all your help

Mark