Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HD problem

• Please log in to reply

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Got a major problem here...not a good way to start off the day.

I got a computer that worked just fine...tried to load Civilization III...for some reason..it didn't work. That's not the problem, ever since then when I turn on the computer, the BIOS will recognize the HD (The HD is a Seagate Barracuda ATA II) and attempt to load Windows XP (Home Edition) and go so far then a "blue screen w/writing" appears VERY briefly. I can't even see what it says because it happens so fast, then the computer reboots. Now, on reboot, the BIOS will no longer recognize the HD and then comes up with No Operating System found.

After I shut down the system and let it sit for a few minutes and try again...the same sequence happens.

I have taken the HD out of the one machine and connected it as a Slave to my other system. I was able to get into the Slave drive only once..but now I cannot. When the computer tries and loads up..it too has a hard time trying to read the drive from BIOS as a secondary drive.

I don't know if this drive is gone bad...or has a virus or what. I do know that it does seem to get pretty warm pretty quick...even with the case open...not sure why on that one.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jrenter2

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, welcome to geeks
remember we am working blind so bare with us
to help people reply to your question
if you haven't mentioned it yet:
- what model of computer
- what os, XPpro or home
- how old is it

to topic then
- can you get into safemode
- in safemode last known good configuation
- failing that system restore from safemode
- if no safemode, repair with XPcd
if you need details for any of those I have them ready

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
About the blue screen that flashes before it shuts down - when the computer is turned on you hit F8 like u r entering safe mode. there is list go 2 "restart after boot falure" (or something light that) set it 2 disable.
If the BIOs does not recognize the HD it is because it is dying or dead. it heats up no matter what u do. Here is a sugestion that I heard but the hd in the freezer 4 a few hours and then try 2 run the HD. If it works your time is limmited for saveing data.
good luck

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Hi fleamanilman,

- what model of computer
Compaq desktop

- what os, XPpro or home
XP Home

- how old is it
about 4 years

to topic then
- can you get into safemode
It will start to go into safemode, but then again gets so far and restarts.

- in safemode last known good configuation
Tried that...no luck..

- if no safemode, repair with XPcd
I've tried to load up the XPcd, but seems like it gets stuck on loading and won't finish booting up.

if you need details for any of those I have them ready

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
is this possible here

to repair the ntldr (the ntldr is the boot loader) and the ntdetect.com (the ntdetect.com is responsible for detecting basic hardware)

fix you will need a Windows XP CD.
- stick the Windows XP CD in, and boot your computer from the CD
(once you have booted up, you will see a blue screen)

- click: R
(To go into the Recovery Console)
- type: password
(if you don’t recall setting a password for the Admin, try leaving it blank then hit enter, if you get an error, that means that there was a password. You will need this password to continue)

(once in the recovery console)
- type: copy D:/i386/ntldr C:
(note my CD Drive is letter D: so change this to whatever your CD drive is and my Windows is on C: so change that drive to whatever your Windows is on)
- press: enter
( if it asks you if you want to replace a file, say yes)
- type: copy D:/i386/ntdetect.com C:
- press: enter
( if it asks you if you want to replace a file, say yes)
- reboot.