Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need to update to a newer WMI

• Please log in to reply

butch.kimball

butch.kimball

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
After I ran an online virus scan a few months ago I noticed my system restore wasn't working. It said I had to install a framedyne.dll in the system32/wbem folder.
I did this and it works.
I also noticed my firewall doesn't work.
It says my internet connection sharing service won't start.

I went to run and typed msconfig and clicked services and after looking a while it says I need to update to a newer Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)

How do you do this?

thanks

Butch Kimball

Edited by butch.kimball, 24 October 2006 - 09:06 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you gone to microsoft update lately?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.microsoft...77-4C2B1014A31E

you could try that

but you should always update windows

butch.kimball

butch.kimball

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I downloaded the wmi application and it said My computer wasn't able to get it because of the windows.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

it said My computer wasn't able to get it because of the windows.

not a standard windows message....what exactly did it say?

butch.kimball

butch.kimball

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It said that the wmi download was only good for nt4.0 sp4 and I have windows xp sp2.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
just a couple of questions

1--How old is computer?

2--Would upgrading to service pack 4 be a problem?

3--Where did you download this from framedyne.dll

4--Were you infected after virus scan?

5--If so how did you get rid of it?

6--If it was not dealt with properly it may be still a problem!!

7--Did your computer come with service pack 2?

AND REMEMBER THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE <(*_*)>

Edited by rushin1nd, 24 October 2006 - 10:36 PM.

butch.kimball

butch.kimball

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The computer is 2 yrs. old and a Emachine with a 2.6 gig , 40 gig HD, and 256mg Ram.
It came with xp home edition on it and I updated it to sp1 then sp2. I have gotten all updates and then one day I was reading in a pc world magazine about this site you can run an online test and see if you have any viruses your antivirus program might have missed.
I started to run a test and then had to run an errand. Whemn I got back the test was over and I didn'yt think much of it until days later things started to go wrong.
I couldn't get any shortcuts to work on my desktop.
I ran a program I have called xprepairpro 2006. It repaired many errors in my registry and then my computer worked well again. I was checking out my windows firewall which I know use to work and it said that a program that was associated to it wouldn't start.
I wento system restore and it said I had a framedyn.dll missing from my wbem folder in my systems 32 folder.
I downloaded one from the internet and did a virus scan on it and it was ok so I unzipped it and copied it to my wbem folder and my system restore stated to work again.
Next I went to the firewall and it said that my wmi needed to be updated to a newer build.
I have no Idea what that is.

as far as updating to a sp4 in nt I don't understand that because I have windows xp sp2.
The update I downloaded from the page link above was wmint4.exe.
I don't know why it wont work on my computer but it says it won't.
I think all that has happened is the online virus scan has taken some important files out of mu wbem folder and when I put the framedyne.dll back my system restore works but now I need to relace my wmi file what ever that is.
I might go over to a friends house ans look into his wbem folder and see what wmi files he has in his wbem folder and copy them to a disc and replace mine. Whether that will work or not I don't know.
I have installed zone alarm pro for now to protect my computer.
I have AVG antivirus and it works well.
I also have xsoft spy that is an excellent antispyware program that keeps my computer clean.
Also I noticed that after this happened I did a windows update and it updated some sp1 updates.
Who knows what I an missing?
No more online scans.
By the way the one I did was at Bitdefender.com.

any help would be appreciated.
I have to work so I will be a while before I can get back to replying to any answer.

thanks for the help

your friend
Butch Kimball

Edited by butch.kimball, 25 October 2006 - 03:06 AM.