Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing second Serial ATA Hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Samjula

Samjula

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi, ive recently got a second sata hard drive and hooked it up correctly. It shows up in the bios as a master drive as does my 1st. But i have been able to do anything with it yet. At first i thought i needed to make the second hard drive a slave drive by fiddling with the jumpers, but my manual says that that isnt the case with serial ata. Both drives will always appear as masters as that is the way they operate. So, my question is what do i do now to be able to use my hard drive as a secondary storage location

Thanks,Sam

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Hi, ive recently got a second sata hard drive and hooked it up correctly. It shows up in the bios as a master drive as does my 1st. But i have been able to do anything with it yet. At first i thought i needed to make the second hard drive a slave drive by fiddling with the jumpers, but my manual says that that isnt the case with serial ata. Both drives will always appear as masters as that is the way they operate. So, my question is what do i do now to be able to use my hard drive as a secondary storage location

Thanks,Sam

well have you partitioned and formated it? if not what version of windows are you running?