Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ticked off girlfriend strikes

• Please log in to reply

redtail

redtail

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: I'm in need of some desprate help. My girlfriend got ticke and reset the password to windows xp on my laptop. I'm locked out my comp and need it for school. How can i get in. Please help a broke student out

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Key:
User 1 = the account you are having trouble with
User 2 = the account we will create to help you out

Step One: Get a new Girlfriend.

Step Two: Never Give Out Your Password.

Step Three: Try changing your password. To do this: I'm at work right now and don't have access to an XP system so can't test this out, but you should try this first. Boot Windows into Safe Mode. On most computers, you'll have to press the F8 key right after the computer beeps. On other computers, however, you'll see a prompt during the boot process. At the safe mode login screen, you'll see a list of users including the ADMINISTRATOR account. Login to Windows with this account. If you never set up a password for the Admin account, just leave the password field blank. That's the default password for Windows XP. Now click Start, Control Panel, and then User Accounts. Click on User 1 (see KEY at top). See if you can change the password from this screen. Usually, the system will ask you for the old password before letting you set up a new one. However, since you are logged in as Admin, you may be able to force a password change without having the old password your girlfriend created. If it won't let you do this without the old password, move on to step Four.

Step Four: Create a new user, User 2, to get your data back. To do this: While you are still in the User Accounts portion of Windows, create a new user. Now reboot the system in regular mode and select User 2 at the login screen. You can still access your old data. Your "My Documents" folder can be found by going into My Computer, clicking the "C" drive, and opening the "Documents and Settings" folder. There, you'll find a list of all users for your system. Just click on User 1's folder and navigate to the My Documents folder. You can make your new My Documents folder for User 2 access this data by doing this: Right click on your new and empty My Documents folder. From the pop-up menu, click Properties. You'll see a line that says "Target". This is the path to the folder where your information is being stored. Change the path to User 1's My Documents Folder. Now, when you click on My Documents, you'll be accessing the old My Documents Folder with all of your old data. You will have to recreate your shortcuts and may have to reinstall some programs since XP is so user driven. Now that you've come this far, you could go one more step and get your old digital life back. Move on to step Five if your interested.

Step Five: Recreate User 1. To do this: First, as a precaution, copy all of your data files from User 1 to User 2. You may want to make a Backup Folder on User 2's desktop and put the data there. When you have copied all of the data, reboot the computer and go to Safe Mode again. Login as the Administrator. Go to user accounts under the Control Panel. Write down the login name for User 1 EXACTLY AS IT APPEARS ON THIS SCREEN keeping caps and lower case letters in tact. Now click the user and choose the option to delete User 1. Windows will ask you if you want to delete the user's data files as well. Tell it "NO". Now, reboot the computer into regular mode and notice that User 1 is no longer in the list. Reboot the computer again and get back into that Administrator account from Safe Mode. Go back to the User Accounts section and tell Windows to create a new user. The name of this user should be THE EXACT SAME NAME YOU HAD FOR USER 1! You can create the password and change some basic settings. Now reboot the computer into regular mode and see User 1 back in the list. You can login as User 1 now because you just created it's account and password. Since the user is named EXACTLY what you had named User 1 before, the folders to be created for this user are already there as they have the same name. When you get logged in as this user, the new User 1, you'll find that your digital self has returned. All of your settings, shortcuts, programs, and data files are back. Just in case something happens, however, and you can't find your data files, remember that you made a copy of them on User 2's account (maybe in that Backup folder on the desktop). When you get your digital life back, go to the User Accounts section one last time and delete User 2.

I know that's a lot of information, but I hope it helps. Keep us posted on how things turn out.