Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Keeps rebooting

• Please log in to reply

Big Hoss

Big Hoss

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:whistling:
I have tried and tried, XP just keeps rebooting. I have an old hard drive with Win98 on it..thats how I'm on here now. I hooked the XP drive as a slave ( Jumpers also) , Win98 will not recognize the XP drive. I went through the F8 and F9 options to no avail. I would hate to lose all my data on that drive... Please help if you can. God Bless and have a nice day

Big Hoss

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Win 98 's Fat32 file system cannot see win XP's NTFS file system. That is why win 98 does not see the drive. Heres a program that will let you see and save the files to another disk.

http://www.programur...ntfs-reader.htm

Usually constant reboots are caused by bad software. One thing i know causes this problem is installing Nvidia newer drivers without uninstalling the old drivers first. I know because i've done it twice.

http://www.smartcomp...r...1.asp&guid=

See if you can stop the rebooting by hitting the F8 key while the computer is starting up . If you do get to the choices try safe mode. I personally do not like trying the recovery console as i have found you have many other problems like extra users when you get done. Last choice is reinstalling XP over a reformatted drive.

SRX660

Shady

Shady

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
i had the same problem (even though nobody replied to it), i just said screw it and formatted the drive. no problems since :whistling: