Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't get rid of virus and confused

• Please log in to reply

foryouising

foryouising

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hey all,

i'm new to hear, but i thought i'd give this a shot cause i can't seem to figure out this virus that's attacking my computer.

there are balloons on the bottom right that pop up saying "critical system error" or "security alert" and whenever i click on my internet explorer it takes me to some security alert webpage instead of google like it used to. also, i get stupid [bleep] pop ups randomly and my internet freezes up or goes to "page cannot be displayed." i have no clue how to get rid of it. i've tried ad-aware, system mechanic 6, and a couple other things that were put on my computer last time i had a virus.

if you know what i can do to get rid of this virus please let me know it would be greatly appreciated!!!

thank you!

felicia

Advertisements

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
Hi foryouising

Welcome to GTG! :whistling:

Please do this:

* Click here to download HJTsetup.exe
  • Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
  • Doubleclick on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
  • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
  • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
  • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
  • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
  • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
  • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
  • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
* Also open Hijack This and click on the "Open the Misc Tools section" button. Click on the "Open Uninstall Manager" button. Click the "Save List" button. Copy and paste that list here.

* Click here to download SmitfraudFix.zip and save it to your desktop.
  • Unzip (extract) the contents of SmitfraudFix.zip to a new SmitfraudFix folder on your desktop.
  • Open the SmitfraudFix folder and double-click the smitfraudfix.cmd file.
  • Select option #1 - Search by typing 1 and press "Enter"
  • A text file will appear, which lists the infected files that it finds, if any.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report into your next reply to this thread.
Note : process.exe is detected by some antivirus programs (AntiVir, Dr.Web, Kaspersky) as a "RiskTool"; it is not a virus, but a program used to stop system processes. Antivirus programs cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert the user.
http://www.beyondlog...processutil.htm

Come back here and post the following logs:

Hijack This log
Uninstall list
Smitfraudfix log