Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ridding a Blackberry of Spam - any ideas?

• Please log in to reply

rogerbid

rogerbid

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi Guys,

My Boss has a new toy, and I have a giant-sized headache!

He has a Blackberry phone and now complains of too much spam on his phone. In the office we are all subjected to barrel loads of spam each day and just live with it. However, if there is any way to remove the inconvenience for all users, we'll look at it.

I have visited a website www.OnlyMyEmail.com which seems to provide a solution but I although have signed up for a trial period the configuration instructions leave me totally baffled.

If anyone has managed to set up any sort of filter and has time to talk me through it, please let me know!

Hope to hear from someone, thanks,

Roger

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how large is your company? how do you handle internal mail? exchange? what?

don't know if this is a valid sollution for your company...as it would be based on size...but i use the barracuda networks spam firewall (i've got a model 300)...and it works great....when my sister company put theirs in about 3-4 years ago they went from roughly 200,000 spam messages a day (yeah...that's right....200,000 A DAY) to 3 (and with tweaking...those went away too)...it's a hardware device...and it's rellatively easy to set up..and very easy to moderately difficult to tweak and configure...depending on how deep you want to go...in my experience it's rediculously effective

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
The way email is configured on a Blackberry (or Treo or Motorola Q) is either through the device itself or through the device website. Since the device gets the email wirelessly, a hardware solution won't work in this case (the exception would be if you synced to an Exchange server, because you could block it there). If you do a Google search for "spam on Blackberry", you get a lot of results, with OnlyMyEmail as just one of the solutions. If you're thinking of getting a lot of Blackberries, I also found information on setting up an Enterprise Blackberry server, which would give you more control of it.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
True, but the Blackberry, just like Outlook or Thunderbird, gets its email from the email server. The barracuda goes before the mail server. Less spam on the mail server = less spam on the Blackberry.

For a simple, yet highly cost effective solution, the barracuda is a great choice.

For my company we use Spam Assassin and a few other tools. My mail goes through 2 spam boxes before it gets to my mail server.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

For a simple, yet highly cost effective solution, the barracuda is a great choice.

have you had experience with the contraption ScHwErV? i love the thing...we've got their spyware firewall as well...

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi Everyone,

I put my hands up and plead guilty to what I guess is the cardinal sin for forums such as this!

I posted the question and then became embroiled in so many unconnected problems that this thread was forced to the back burner. In desperation and as a way of finding a quick solution I approached our ISP Quik (http://www.quik.com.au) and found they have a service for subscribers that appears to do the trick.

This has enabled me to sort the boss's problem, it may not be as good as some options but it has done a great job.

To answer some of the questions raised, we are a small company with just 10 pcs on a network and no in-house guru who can handle some of the advanced suggestions submitted! "how do you handle internal mail? exchange? what?" Errr - we use Outlook and Outlook Express, thats all I know! See what I mean - limited knowledge!

Thanks to everyone who has responded. Please accept my apologies if you feel your efforts were for nothing. I really appreciate the assistance provided by this forum and hate the idea that I have offended the very experts on whom I have become so dependant. Thanks everyone

Roger

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
rogerbid,

Thanks for letting us know, and I'm glad you've got him sorted out for now :whistling:.

sari