Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Major Help! First Computer does not boot up

• Please log in to reply

Bushidob

Bushidob

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have just built my first PC using Athlon X2 CPU and Jetway motherboard. I installed everything, turned the power on after plugging the monitor, keyboard and a mouse. However, even though the motherboard light turns on and the CPU fan starts moving, nothing happens. The monitor does not recognize anything. Does this mean the motherboard or CPU is already bad?? Can someone help me with the problem?

I tried removing everything but the power cord, the CPU&Fan, and the monitor but still no success.....

Advertisements

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
do u have a video card installed, does the motherboard beep, be as specific as possible

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go, Bushidob.

Heres a interactive chart that you can use to diagnose your problem. Just click to the next area that you have not tried yet.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/cpu_ram.htm

On a side note, i have had particular problems with jetaway motherboards, so i avoid them at any cost possible.

SRX660

Bushidob

Bushidob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The motherboard has a video card attached to it. Now, this is a thing to consider. I have just realized that I may have used a 220Voltage on my new Rosewill Powersupply. There's a botton that can slide left and right. I moved the switched to the side that indicates 115V...but it SHOWS 220 on the switch... This may mean that I was actually turning the computer on with 220Voltage instead... does this automatically fry the CPU? Or does it have some preventive feature where it will prevent the computer from starting?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Try the 115 and see if it boots on.

Maybe there too much power. When I tried 230, It wouldnt power on at all.

Bushidob

Bushidob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Still didn't work...no response at all from the motherboard...not sure if it's my motherboard or CPU...or BOTH!

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
First, unplug everything except the PSU, motherboard, RAM and CPU. Are there any beeps? You should be getting some type of beep from your mobo, even if your PSU, CPU, or RAM is bad. If you get nothing at all, then it's time to RMA the mobo.

Bushidob

Bushidob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I was told that RAM is unnecessary for your computer to go to BIOS. My motherboard has not beeped once, but the small green LED does light up on the motherboard. The CPU fan also spins. I vaguely remember that this motherboard does not come with a speaker attached. Is that possible?? Not sure..but whatever it is..I have not heard one beep since I got purchased the mobo.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I do not know where you got the information that the motherboard needs NO memory to boot into the bios, but that is false. The MB does have a small battery built into it so the bios does not have to be rebuilt every time you boot up the computer. Most motherboards would start beeping constantly if there were no memory sticks installed. This really sounds like your MB is dead. I would try RMA'ing the motherboard for a replacement or if possible to upgrade it to a better more well known motherboard.

If the MB does not have a built in speaker then there should be a plugin pair of pins where you can plugin a system speaker.

I think you will just have to start with a new MB and if it still does not boot , RMA the CPU for another one.

SRX660

minionarcane

minionarcane

• Pip
  • 4 posts
SRX660 and the kidnova...'scuse me but what in the world does RMA mean? You guys just.... picked up the word from ... where??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
RMA is
Return
merchandise
Authorization

It means the manufacturer is allowing you to return it by giving you a specific number for that return. Wikopedia explanation