Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP or Toshiba?

• Please log in to reply

hawthorn

hawthorn

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hi Folks!

Im in the lucky position of buying a new Laptop in the nesxt week or so, and its either HP or Toshiba. If anyone has an opinion on those two Id be glad of it.

Also how much to spend, what model etc. Most seem to have 1gig ram standard now, 15.4 screen, and some even have core suo (?) chip. Where should I spend my money, the extra ram or the newer processor?
Heres the few Im thinking of...

HP DV 6115, Turon 64MK3G, 1Gig ram, 100G HD, Media Centre, 15.4 screen €899

HP DV 6152, Turon 64 x2 TL52, 1Gig ram, 120G HD, Media Centre 15.4 screen €1189

HP DV 6190, Turon 64 x 2 TL56, 2Gig ram, 120G HD, Media Centre, 15.4 screen €899

TOSHIBA A-100-179 Intel Centrino Core Duo T5200, 2gig ram, 100g HD, 15.4 screen €1159

TOSHIBA P-100-429 Intel Centrino Core Duo T5500, 1Gig Ram, 100g HD, 17" Screen, €1349

So obviously the 17" screen is good, but 1 gig ram instead of 2.

Also I think the Toshiba is a little lighter than the HP

What's a man to do.....!? Opinions appreciated.

h

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Hi Folks!

Im in the lucky position of buying a new Laptop in the nesxt week or so, and its either HP or Toshiba. If anyone has an opinion on those two Id be glad of it.

Also how much to spend, what model etc. Most seem to have 1gig ram standard now, 15.4 screen, and some even have core suo (?) chip. Where should I spend my money, the extra ram or the newer processor?

HP DV 6190, Turon 64 x 2 TL56, 2Gig ram, 120G HD, Media Centre, 15.4 screen €899

TOSHIBA A-100-179 Intel Centrino Core Duo T5200, 2gig ram, 100g HD, 15.4 screen €1159

TOSHIBA P-100-429 Intel Centrino Core Duo T5500, 1Gig Ram, 100g HD, 17" Screen, €1349

h

I'm not up on laptop models and that kind of depends on what you need it to do.... remember laptops you MIGHT be able to increase ram and hard drive but that's about it so you need to buy for what you need and maybe more if you can afford it. Also I'd recommend an extended warranty, laptop parts are expensive to replace for the most part.... I'd also recommend the toshiba over the hp... generally you get good service with toshiba and they usually hold their value a little more....

Burton1

Burton1

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
What are u going to be using your comptuer for?

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
While it does sometimes vary by model and usually by use, Toshiba has less reported issues than HP.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napolιon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
my personal opinion...and this is just my personal opinion....is that i generally don't like dealing with toshiba tech support...and i'm not a fan of HP computers in general...

we just got 2 new really nifty Lenovo n100's...i haven't had time to monkey with them much farther than the original setup...but...they look really nifty...feel pretty solid...but still light...and so fart the "lenovo care" tools seem pretty handy....you can restore to a backup during bootup and what not....seems like they'll be pretty good

i tend to trust dell laptops...but that's usually due to the fact that i've always had good luck with their service department

i haven't had any issues out of the 2 acer laptops that i've got either...but other people tend to complain about acer

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Hi Folks!

h

Toshiba is more expensive than HP. I have a HP. Go to Newegg.com to buy extra ram. Oh, usually a laptop with 1 GB of Ram have 2 512MB of RAM and not 1 stick of RAM.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
It really does depend on what you want to do with it. 17" is great for gaming, but not so great if you travel a lot. Also, if you're planning on using it for gaming then finding a laptop with a good dedicated video card is going to be more important that a better processor or more RAM since you can always upgrade both of those. More often than not, you cannot upgrade or change the video card in a laptop.

HP and Toshiba both make good laptops. If I had to choose I would go with one of the core duo systems. You might also want to take a look at some ACER laptops as it is often hard to beat their price/performance ratio.

hawthorn

hawthorn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Thank you all for your replies. I do find the text on the 15.4 screen on my current one a bit small, I think the widescreen squeezes it a bit. I know you can increase the text size but its a nuisance having to do it all the time.
Thats why I included the 17" in my considerations. Though I wont be using it for gaming. Really not heavy use at all, just browsing, WP and database etc.

I suppose if I could stretch to the 2 gig ram it would very good for a few years! Might look at the acer too.

Many thanks, all.

h