Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply

buknekkid407

buknekkid407

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I can open Windows Media Player in windows and it works fine. I can play music, movies etc. , but when I go onto the internet and try to watch a streamed video it says i do not have the required plug in. Then i go to the setup for window media player player 10, and it wont install because i have a more recent version already installed. Then I tried installing the 11 Beta version but then i ended up not being able to open media player at all, gave me the error message "An internal application error has occurred". So I uninstalled media player 11 and the runtime for it, and i'm back to stage one. It works fine in windows but i can still not stream videos off the internet. Thanks in advance for the help!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The videos you are trying to stream may be quicktime or realplayer, neither of which will play in WMP.

buknekkid407

buknekkid407

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I thought that at first to but then I went to a website where you can choose your video settings, macromedia flash player or windows media. Also when i use firefoxs install missing plug in feature, it brings me to microsofts website wit hthe media player downloads.

buknekkid407

buknekkid407

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I have now successfully installed windows media player 11, it works fine in windows, but i still cannot stream videos on the internet. It says i am missing a required plug in and the link for it leads me to microsofts media player download page. I am very confused, because i know its in the Media player format, as it worked fine on my old computer. Any help is appreciated.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
provide the link that you are trying to stream from please.

buknekkid407

buknekkid407

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Here is a link that i have tried, but I have tried more its not isolated to this site. I realize that I can use quicktime to view the video on this particular site, but I'm using it becasue of the fact you can pick Windows media format. Thanks for your help.

buknekkid407

buknekkid407

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I use firefox as my main browser and this is where I am having problems with streaming video for windows media player from the internet. Out of frustration I went back to Internet Explorer, and I can stream .wma format just fine. So there is obviously something to do with firefox. I was wondering if anyone new how to fix this, with an extension etc. All help is appreciated. Thanks :whistling: