Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

processor upgrade.

• Please log in to reply

Syztem

Syztem

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
well im a big gamer, into fps's mainly , new pc! i got an intel pentium D 3.2 ghz in there now, i bought an x1600 radeon graphics card but now i think i need to up the CPU for the best performance possible, i wa stold to upgrade the card to make the skipping stop but the cpu is the problem i guess now. i honestly dont give a [bleep] if the bullets are cubes, i can dodge a cube but not a teleporting anything -.- (its what skipping looks like) , SO! what do you guys recommend for my upgrade?

edit: BTW!!!11shiftone, i shop at www.compusa.com (the store in real life) but i referance that website, and ofcourse if i must -.- best buy... but they really dont have the best prices there. im not a fan of buying things online mainly because im not all that tech smart and stuff does go wrong, so if i must i like to return things (which happens often) and thats not easily done when buying online.

my pc is a HP media center pc, m7590n. if that helps at all, 2 gigs of ram in there like a [bleep] [bleep] load of hard drive space, got 2 HD's in there 1 is for a back up (dont see how id fill that up with stuff) i got 2 cd rom ...things but one doesnt work as usual, ive honestly never used a pc where the regular dvd rom worked, always the burner was the one that stayed -.- [bleep] why cant things be simple lol. typing to much, so bored :whistling: ty for reading everyone

Edited by Syztem, 25 October 2006 - 02:57 AM.

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Honestly, and you probably don't want to hear this, the problem is probably still stemming from your graphics card. Almost all game are GPU limited and your processor is more than fast enough to handle any game on the market right now. An X1600 is an okay midrange card, but if you're looking for top gaming performance you need to look at X1800 or higher for ATI or nVidia 7800 or higher. Go to Anandtech.com and look at their video card reviews and you can see from the benchmarks how much difference a good graphics card can make.

Here is an excellent article on midrange GPUs:
http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2812

If you do decide to upgrade the CPU, then your only real option is to go with a Core 2 duo processor, which will probably involve changing your mobo as well.

Edited by kidnova, 25 October 2006 - 11:57 AM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

well im a big gamer, into fps's mainly , new pc! i got an intel pentium D 3.2 ghz in there now, i bought an x1600 radeon graphics card but now i think i need to up the CPU for the best performance possible, i wa stold to upgrade the card to make the skipping stop but the cpu is the problem i guess now. i honestly dont give a [bleep] if the bullets are cubes, i can dodge a cube but not a teleporting anything -.- (its what skipping looks like) , SO! what do you guys recommend for my upgrade?

edit: BTW!!!11shiftone, i shop at www.compusa.com (the store in real life) but i referance that website, and ofcourse if i must -.- best buy... but they really dont have the best prices there. im not a fan of buying things online mainly because im not all that tech smart and stuff does go wrong, so if i must i like to return things (which happens often) and thats not easily done when buying online.

my pc is a HP media center pc, m7590n. if that helps at all, 2 gigs of ram in there like a [bleep] [bleep] load of hard drive space, got 2 HD's in there 1 is for a back up (dont see how id fill that up with stuff) i got 2 cd rom ...things but one doesnt work as usual, ive honestly never used a pc where the regular dvd rom worked, always the burner was the one that stayed -.- [bleep] why cant things be simple lol. typing to much, so bored :whistling: ty for reading everyone

What kidnova said about the processor is correct. Your problem is more the video card. The x1600 is not a good high end gamer card at all.. Its a low to hardly mid end video card it runs more like a low end card from my personal experience and as of now its actually considered a low end card. Your processor is fine for now but you should of waited and got an intel Core 2 duo to begin with.

I would have gotten a good performing mid end card in the $150-$200 range. The nvidia 7600gt is only $124 for the cheapest one on newegg.com and it still beats the pants off of a x1600. To be honest you messed up by getting the x1600 its not the processor at all. Now you have another decision to make because directx10 is coming out soon and only the new not even released dx10 cards will support dx10. All of the current video cards will not support directx10 and you will also need to buy the new operating system Windows Vista in order to get the directx10 architecture. Since all this technology is coming out I wouldnt fork out too much money on another video card so you have a decision to make. Another thing directx10 will be 8-10 times faster than current directx9.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I've read some of the info on DX10 and how wonderful it will be, however I believe it will be at least 6 months to a year after Vista and DX10 are released before programs and games will be optimized to take advantage of all of the upgrades. It will take at least 6 months for Microsoft to work out all of the bugs that we all know will be in Vista after its initial release. Also, although popular opinion seems to be that DX10 cards will be reasonably priced on release, it's been my experience that new technology is ALMOST NEVER reasonably priced upon initial release. Core 2 would be the lone exception that I can think of and that's just because AMD was whipping Intel all over the place and Intel needed to do something to stop the bleeding.

My point is that I don't see any reason to hold off purchasing a new card now unless you plan on taking the plunge and upgrading to Vista and DX10 immediately after release. Also, every game for the next 2 years at least will be backward compatible to DX9 because developers cannot afford to ignore the huge customer base who will not be upgrading to DX10 immediately. I'm not saying you should go out and buy the most expensive card on the market, but if you want to play games with acceptable FPS now, I don't see any reason not to go out and get a better card such as the 7600 GT that JRM mentioned.

Just my two cents.

Edited by kidnova, 25 October 2006 - 03:09 PM.

Syztem

Syztem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
well im really tempted at the nvidia 7600gt, the price is nice and both of u agree, i trust this site more than my mom hahah. just really nervous about buying from newegg.com even tho im so tempted, areu guys sure it will fit in my computer? had a problem with this before on my older pc, this card i have now is so hard to use (spent an hour and a half googling all the settings just to make it run a tiny bit better) and it simply isnt that great.

when i play one of my rpg's i often cant see characters or they start flashing, and everything flashes on the screen in small squares. does it help to overclock the card? cuz theres 2 settings to overclock the 1600 :whistling:.

EDIT: ok i typed that in new egg adn theres a few different kinds, could you gimme a tiny tiny explanation sort of thing for which one id want?i see stuff about lead and all that lol not sure if that is bad or not.

Edited by Syztem, 25 October 2006 - 03:31 PM.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
In general, one 7600GT is going to perform pretty much the same as another 7600GT. The difference is with cooling and whether or not it is factory overclocked. The two card that is the cheapest is not factory overclocked and comes with 1 DVI port. The BFG card is slightly factory overclocked (not enought to make much of a difference), but it has 2 DVI ports. The extra DVI port would come in handy if you have an LCD monitor and you want to hook your computer up to a HDTV at some point, otherwise you won't really have a use for it.

Personally, with a $4 overall difference in price, I would go with the BFG card for $114 after rebate. But, it really comes down to personal preferance.

Edited by kidnova, 25 October 2006 - 09:32 PM.

Syztem

Syztem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
today i spoke to ppl that use an x800 and never have problems becaues its over clocked, no idea why they dont have problems -.- when things even as simple as water on my pc are jus huge white lines.

Syztem

Syztem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
alrighty ill be ordering it tonight, i hope it fits into my pc >< and takes care of my graphic problems. you guys are confident about my processor? cuz i think i got enough ram ><

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814143049

is the one ill be ordering , ^^ hope im not annoying i jus wana be sure