Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PSU advice

• Please log in to reply

Psych1977

Psych1977

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all, I'm building my first PC, and just realised (schoolboy error) that I don't have a PSU.
To be honest, although I'm fairly sure that I don't need anything over 350 - 450 watt I'm lost.
I've tried researching the web but there are so many conflicting opinons out there with regards to reliability and quietness that I thought I'd ask for advice. I've posted my specs below and was hoping you could all weigh in with opinions for a PSU, and general thoughts on the choices I've made here:

Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5
MB: MSI 975X Platinum
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600
HDD: 2 x Samsung 250GB S300 7200rpm (Set up as RAID 0)
RAM: 1GB Corsair TWIN2X1024A-6400 (2x512MB paired)
Video: XFX GeForce 7600GT (256MB DDR3 PCIe)
Sony DVDRW

I won't be going too hardcore, I probably won't be overclocking, but will want general use, plus gaming (e.g FEAR, BF2, general latest releases).
TBH, choosing the parts above was easy, I just don't want to screw everything up with a poor PSU choice that could blow and harm components, not be powerful enough, not be compatible, etc.

Thanks all

Edited by Psych1977, 25 October 2006 - 04:30 AM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Here is a link to the best collection of good information on power supplies that I have found: http://www.hardforum...isplay.php?f=93
See the sticky posts at the top of the forum. The information there will help you make a good decision.

Psych1977

Psych1977

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the quick response Austin.

Unfortunately my work network won't let me access forums (except this one apparently!). I was in a bit of a rush, so after a little more digging selected the Hiper HPU-4K580, and hopefully will have it delivered in a day or two. I know I said I didn't think I'd need anything over 450 watt, but hey, better safe than sorry!

Thanks again

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Hiper makes excellent PSUs and 580W should be more than you will ever need. Unless you plan on going quad GPU DX10 SLI in the near future. :whistling:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Yeah 350 watts would not be near enough especially on a cheap power supply. A 450watt is the absolute minimum I would ever go on a dual core rig with what you have selected and it still in my opinion isnt quite enough. A 485Watt to 500 watt is recommended and any higher is a plus to have in future upgrades you might want.

That hiper psu you selected is a good choice and more than you will need.

dospoy

dospoy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
just a question on this topic,

I thought that dual core processors were supposed to use 40% less energy, yet some people are saying 500-700 watt psu...I'm confused. I understand if someone wants a quad gpu system..but what about a single gpu...or even dual sli setup? Is a 500 watt name brand sufficent?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

just a question on this topic,

I thought that dual core processors were supposed to use 40% less energy, yet some people are saying 500-700 watt psu...I'm confused. I understand if someone wants a quad gpu system..but what about a single gpu...or even dual sli setup? Is a 500 watt name brand sufficent?

You want to make shure that you will have sufficient ammount of watts to power your system and all of its components and for Future upgrades which can be whatever their hearts may desire like dual sli or quad sli..

Just because you get a 700watt powersupply doesnt mean you will actually use all of the full 700watts of power. The power supply only uses what it needs so its a good idea to buy a good powersupply with plenty of future proof room to grow..

For a dual core conroe with the basics and lets say 1 high end video card its not necessary to have 700 watts but a 500watt would certainly be a good idea. I wouldnt get below a 450watt powersupply ever on any dual core rig with a good high end video card. 500watt is pretty much the standard for a dual core machine.

Some of these people are getting 700 watt power supplies that dont actually need it now are just thinking ahead because the directx10 video cards are coming out soon and they are said to use alot of juice compaired to current video cards so they are getting those power supplies to stay on the safe side just incase.

Alot of the cheap power supplies that says 500watts doesnt even push out anywhere close to 500watts so you have to watch out.

Any good name brand with good reviews is the way to go. Pretty much anything under $50 is junk for a 500watt or greater psu but dont just go by that, you need to read reviews.

Generally $80-$100 for a powersupply will be good stuff if its infact a Good BRAND. The price can go well over that but thats when you get into the serious power supplies.

dospoy

dospoy

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
So for a dual core dual sli setup, 500 watts is too low? lol, if so I have to make a trip to return my psu. Actually I only have 1 video card now, but eventually ill have my other one. Now I'm beginning to think I should just suck it up and go with a massive psu.