Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Links, QuickLaunch, Desktop ... all malfunctioning!

• Please log in to reply

Lady_Rocker

Lady_Rocker

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
It's been quite a long while since I've been here for advice and help... almost a year... but now I've been having problems for the past month or so with my computer running programs. At first it was "Boot Failures", then it progressed to all these pop-ups regarding my Symantec Anti-virus program. Recently, none of my network connections, nor USB, are operating normally, they just suddenly "disabled" and I could not re-install them (am thinking hardware problem here). But today, October 25th, when I turned on my computer:

1. my desktop disappeared;
2. MANY error messages regarding the Symantec Anti-virus program keeps popping up;
3. NONE of my desktop or start program links work when I click on it;
4. When I click on a Start Menu program, it asks me if I "want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop instead?";
5. NONE of the quick launch programs work;
6. I had to use Control Panel to get to my dial-up connection;
7. I had to use the Windows Task Manager to open an Internet Explorer.
8. System Restore does not work.

:blink:

I updated my AdAware, Spybot and Symantec AntiVirus via their respective web pages. I used both ATF and CleanUp! to clean up my computer before I ran AdAware and Spybot... even after... but my Anti-Virus gave me a "Could not start scan. Scan engine returned error 0x20000046" error message, although I was able to update it.

:whistling:

Now, what da heck is happening to my computer... I would love to give you the specs, but unfortunately, I cannot get the "properties" options to open (when I right-click My Computer, or even when I right-click the desktop).

:help:

Edited by Lady_Rocker, 25 October 2006 - 06:56 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Online Scans

Panda Scan

House Call

If Trend Micro freezes during updating, close then retry

Trend Micro Spyware Scan

Kaspersky Online Scan

If you are unable to run any of those

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

System101

System101

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
what keith said...

Edited by System101, 25 October 2006 - 07:07 AM.

Lady_Rocker

Lady_Rocker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
Thank you Keith and Thank you System101! VERY FAST responses! It was a bit ironic when I came back in here to "see" if my post caught any attention because at that moment I just started running the Trend Micro HouseCall Online 6.5. After I do the online scanners, I will post the HiJack This Log on the Malware Forum! Hope to get your help then...

Til then, TTFN!