Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Testing memory upgrade

• Please log in to reply

vinasg

vinasg

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I upgraded my old emachine T3256 model for more memory. The machine originally came with 512M module. I added 256M module (333MHz PC2700 as recommended. )
The machine would boot up fine but once in a while the computer just resets itself (crashes actually!) and reboots.
I took out the new memory module and it seems to be working fine.
I am not sure if the memoy module is bad or is it incompatible with the original 512M module. I am past the 30 day period unfortunately, so I cannot return the module or exchange it.

Questions:
Is there a way to test the memory module?
How do I check for compatibility before I get a new module?

I have seen sites which go by the computer manufacturer and model number to suggest a memory from specific manufacturer that is guaranteed to work. Is there any credence to it? I was under the impression that as long as I matched the 333 MHz and PC2700 it should be fine. (The document does not indicate that I need ECC registred memory, and I dont think the installed original module is ECC)

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
To see if your new memeory module is Faulty

remove the original 512Mb stick and replace it with the 256Mb (ensure that the module is placed in the first slot closest to the CPU)

if the system boots then the new RAM module is not deffective in anyway.

troppo

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Use Memtest86 to test your memory.

http://www.memtest86.com/

SRX660

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
SRX:
he actually cant get the system to boot so i dont think that will be usufull just yet

but when you do get the system running test it with that if it boots with the bad RAM

vinasg

vinasg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thansk for the reply, I'll try the memtest86 and let you know the results.