Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics

• Please log in to reply

jwardy07

jwardy07

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hey people whats one of the best graphics card going around for a decent price?

Jamie

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
That depends on a lot of factors. Are you looking for one for the system in your sig? If so, then your options are going to be limited because it has an AGP connection as opposed to PXI-e. Also, what do you consider a "decent" price? That's an extrememly subjective idea. Some people consider $75 a decent price, while others consider $250 a decent price. Give us a little more info and we can help you out a better.

jwardy07

jwardy07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Ok i think its guna be a PCI express slot, and between £50-£100, i want to get good graphics from call of duty 2 etc

jwardy07

jwardy07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Ok i think its guna be a PCI express slot, and between £50-£100, i want to get good graphics from call of duty 2 etc

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Here in the usa the best price to performance video card is the nvidia 7600gt. You dont live in the usa but it should still be decently priced where you live.

$129 - $150 us dollars for a 7600gt in the usa. There is one running $129 right now and thats an awesome deal.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A 7600GT runs about 95, after that there isnt much choice till you hit the 130-150 mark where you get the X1900GTs and X1950 Pros from HIS and powercolor. You dont get that many X1800s anymore but you can get good deals.

7600 is pretty decent but make sure to get the GT is you get it, if you want something better i would go the extra bit for the x1950pro but a 7600 should do you fine for the moment.

jwardy07

jwardy07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Ok can someone explain why someone would spend over £100 on a graphics card, is it really that much better, whats the benifits compared to one around £75 and how it would effect gameplay. Do people just have to much money to spend or is there such a need to spend £100+ on a graphics card.

Jamie

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Most of the new games out there are extremely graphics card limited. Many of the people that are upgrading video cards are doing so because they want to play the newest games with better graphics and frames per second (FPS). There is a MASSIVE difference in the experience of playing a game at an average 20 FPS compared to playing a game at 40 FPS or even 30 FPS.

So, if you're a gamer and you want to play the newest games with good video quality then it is worth it to you to spend good money on a video card. If you just want to play the game, and you're not concerned with the eye candy, then you're better off buying a cheaper card and using your hard earned money somewhere else.

Here is an excellent article that shows the huge differences in game experiences that can be attained simply by changing graphics cards"
http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2812

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You dont get as much for your money under £100 for a start, they dont last as long and performance isnt close to as good, at £150-200(normal price) you get alot more than a card at £100 or £75 its not just faster but things like the memory is a faster type that is also much better and at about £300 you get even better memory, the difference is huge when you see it.

jwardy07

jwardy07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
ok thats fair enough

Advertisements

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Are you sure you have a vacant PCI Express x16 slot? If not, then you probably have an AGP 8x slot. I would recommend GeForce 7600GS OC 512MB for $150 at CompUSA. It's the best and the cheapest AGP Card they got with 512MB. I just got that last week and it runs very well.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Are you sure you have a vacant PCI Express x16 slot? If not, then you probably have an AGP 8x slot. I would recommend GeForce 7600GS OC 512MB for $150 at CompUSA. It's the best and the cheapest AGP Card they got with 512MB. I just got that last week and it runs very well.

Yes it has pciexpress.........

http://www.asus.com/...amp;modelmenu=1

**Quoted from the site above** PCI Express Architecture
PCI Express is the latest I/O interconnect technology that will replace the existing PCI. With a bus bandwidth 4 times higher than that of AGP 8X interface, PCI Express x16 bus performs much better in applications such as 3D gaming.

http://www.zipzoomfl...ductCode=247062

jwardy07

jwardy07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Is this a good graphics card, and for its moneys worth?

http://www.cclonline...nufacturer_id=0

Your opinions please.
Thanx
Jamie

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nah its rubbish and very expensive even overclockers is cheaper, you can get a x1600 or a 7600GS for that price on there.

Try ebuyer not as good selection but dirt cheap.

jwardy07

jwardy07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Ok around £80 to spend, what u recreamend? and where?