Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I'm having a little trouble with my windows media player or I should say the file I'm trying to watch. See I downloaded a movie and for some reason WMP won't allow me to fast forward or rewind. I can do it with other files however with this one paticular file its not allowing me to. I was wondering if there is a way to fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance.

Advertisements

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
You cant rewind and fast forward on any program unless you watch DVD Movies.

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Ummm yes you can, however only certain movie types does WMP alow you to, i would personaly try VLC player if you really need to fast it forwaid.

Dredginator

Dredginator

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Microsoft fixes can cause Windows Media Player trouble
By Joris Evers
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
Published: March 8, 2006, 7:45 PM PST
Last modified: March 9, 2006, 4:38 PM PST

A trio of updates for the media player software, including a recent security patch, can cause the software to malfunction, the software maker said in a technical support article published on its Web site earlier this week. Microsoft late Wednesday e-mailed notices alerting customers to the support page.

The updates can cause issues when trying to seek, fast rewind or fast forward in Windows Media Player 10, Microsoft said. Playback might freeze, even though the status bar shows it is still playing. Also, the playback position slider could jump back to the start of the media file for no apparent reason, the company said.

These situations can occur after installing one of three updates, Microsoft said. One is the the lastest fix for Windows Media Player, a "critical" patch released last month. The flaw could allow an attacker to gain control over a vulnerable PC by tricking a user into opening a malicious file. Examples of code that exploits the flaw was available only days after Microsoft released the patch.

The other two updates that could cause Media Player trouble are: "Update Rollup 2" for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 and a fix intended to enable DirectX Video Acceleration of Windows Media Video content. Both were released last year.

Microsoft did not say how many users have reported media player trouble. To fix the player issues, Microsoft suggests changes on the system that's streaming the content.

The issues only arise when playing content from servers that are configured to use a feature called Advanced Fast Start, a Microsoft representative said Thursday. This feature is designed to deliver instant-on playback, eliminating buffering time.

Nine Systems was affected by the problem, said Christopher Knox, the company's chief technology officer. Nine Systems, based in San Diego, streams media for customers including Universal Music Group, the NBA, The Golf Channel, CBS Sportsline and EMI Music.

"We immediately began to get complaints that end users were unable to seek within content after the patch was rolled out by Microsoft," he said.

Nine Systems was forced to disable the "Advanced Fast Start" on all of its Windows Media streaming servers. "Users are able to seek within content, but the experience has been reduced," Knox said. Microsoft may be providing an updated patch for the problem, he said.

In addition to the possible trouble with Windows Media Player, Microsoft on Wednesday said a patch it released February last year might cause trouble with a specific Web program known as an ActiveX control. A fix for that problem is available from Microsoft, the company said.

This should fix your problem (click me)

Edited by Dredginator, 27 October 2006 - 10:20 AM.