Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Application File Missing

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
New problem. Just missing ms.paint.exe. I still have shortcut pinned to start menu, but it cannot open file. Have tried search, and found, but computer is asking to use web to open. got nowwhere with it.

I get message which says, file is moved or deleted. Where do I go from here.

Waynf

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First thing to do is go to your system 32 folder in your "C" drive and see if the file is there. If so then double click on it and see if it opens. If it does open, then you need to right click on your mspaint icon and "Find Target" to the mspaint program in your system 32 folder.

If mspaint is not in your system 32 folder you need to reinstall it from your windows xp cd.

http://www.winxptutor.com/paint.htm

Personally i usually delete mspaint off my computers and replace it with Irfanview. mspaint is almost a completely useless program.

http://www.irfanview.com/

It is easy to put a shortcut in your program files to a program, then move it to whatever folder you want just by drag and drop method.

SRX660

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I don't have CD installation disk on hand, so I did restore point to 20th October 2006, and mspaint came back. The reason I stay with mspaint, is because when I u sed my scanner HP 1410 scanner/printer it seems to use it when I edit. If I change to Irfanview will I have to do soometing to redirect the HP scanner program to utilize the new program? Because I tend to agree with you that mspaint is just an extra which does very little insofar as graphic utilization and projects are concerned.

Please advise, if no problem in using the program you suggest I will be downloading it.

Waynf

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should be able to say where it will scan to

If you have .net framework 2 installed, see what you think to paint.net from my signature