Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer

• Please log in to reply

scottsville

scottsville

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am running XP Home Edition on a Dell computer. I keep getting message "mapi32.dll is corroup or wrong version" . The windows installer starts to run (when I use any application including ie explorer) and look for STD11N.MSI. I found this on my office cd, but the computer failed to install. Basically I cannot run outlook, word, excel, or any office system. In addition when I try to "search" for files the search ends and the explore program ends.

Advertisements

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Hi Scottie and welcome to Geeks 2 Go, i'm Usetobe and will assist you with your small problem

Click on the following link to be taken to Microsoft knowledge base with instructions on how to rectify your problem

Link to Fix

Regards,

Usetobe

scottsville

scottsville

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: Tried that approach. Explorer actually worked this time! Found only one occurence of MAPI32.DLL. Followed Microsoft's instructions and Outlook still failed to start. Received the following message:

"Cannot start MS Office Outlook. MAPI32.DLL is corrupt or wrong version. This could be caused by installing other messaging software. Please reinstall Outlook".

Also tried to reinstall Outlook and cannot get the installation to run.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does detect and repair in help work

scottsville

scottsville

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hate to sound technically challenged, but I cannot find a "detect and repair" function in help. By the way...problem persists.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open any office application then press help on top row, when all options are displayed, one is detect and repair, click this, make sure there is a tick in restore my shortcuts, click OK, you might need the instalation discs.

If you have it set to always show full menu then you will see detect and repaire straight off, otherwiswe you may need to wait until it shows when the menu expands

fungusmind

fungusmind

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have started to have exactly these same symptoms after I installed MSInstaller 3.

Office worked but I couldn't modify the Office 2003 installation, so I used the "Windows Install Clean Up" tool as per Microsofts instructions to clean the registry from Office settings and start afresh.

It faild. Now no Office ever works and I the installer crashes after taking my preferences and as soon as it starts to install.

"Search" causes Explorer to crash also.

My personal settings are still in the registry, the program files are still on the disk but I cannot neither run office or reinstall it.