Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ghost Mouse

• Please log in to reply

Mr. Green

Mr. Green

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I have multiple Dell Latitude D800s and some of them have the problem that the mouse moves on its own. Specifically down and to the right. Any ideas?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Is it an optical mouse? That is, does it have a red light on the bottom?

Due to small bumps and ever-so-slightly uneven surfaces, the mouse cursor will sometimes look as if it is moving on its own when in actual fact the optical light is bouncing off the small bumps in the surface, which usually causes the mouse to think its on the move, so Windows moves its own cursor in tune with what it's being told. It's very common if you have the colour red anywhere where your mouse moves, or if there's a stray hair across the sensor.

The solution is easy; change the surface (or use a mouse mat) and clean out the hole in the bottom of the mouse where the red light comes out. Try not to do this while the light is active, as it can give some people a migraine if they look straight into the beam for even only a second.

Edited by Neil Jones, 25 October 2006 - 04:12 PM.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I agree with Neil Jones and clean the mouse.
I recommend to use a qtip with alcohol.

If u r useing a mouse pad the darker the better
I found that white or shiny surface reflects back and the mose "slipps"

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I think I made a mistake.
If u r talking about the mouse pad we once opend and cleand the connection in the laptop.
It might work.
I think u should sust connect an external mouse.

Mr. Green

Mr. Green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I do not have a external mouse hooked up. I am going to take the laptop appart and clean the guts, it most likey is just dusty, the laptop just got back from Iraq.