Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading IBM T30

• Please log in to reply

superman55027

superman55027

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi I have an IBM T30 Laptop that I am looking at buying a new battery for and also looking to add memory to the computer. Right now my battery has a life of about 25-30 minutes fully charged to i think its time for a new one. First question I have is do i need to but a battery that matches the numbers on the inside of my battery case excactly or can I buy and battery that says it will fit in a T30. Second I have 256 MB of memory right now and that is just not cutting it so i wsa looking at upgrading to 512MB or 1 G The first question I have on this is when i get the new memory will i have to take out the old one and put the new one in or do they add to each other like will it be I buy a 256MB so it adds to 512MB or do I have to buy a 512MB chip, also the manual says I need PC2100 DDR SDRAM unbuffered SO-DIMM RAM so what excactly does that mean I am looking for? Thanks for all the help in advance you guys are great and save me lots of money.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Battery as long as it fits and has the same power spec you are fine. You should have two memory slots available but im not sure how much RAM you can put in it youll need to consult the manual maybe try the crucial memory tool it can reccomend the memory you need.

superman55027

superman55027

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
so does that mean i can't buy a battery that has a longer life span then the one i have when it started out?
also where would I find this memory tool?

Edited by superman55027, 25 October 2006 - 05:12 PM.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
you can buy a better battery it just has to have the same power output that your old battery had it can have a larger power capacity like maybe a 6 cell lithium it just needs to match wattage output that your old battery does and it also has to fit it is prob best to contact customer support at ibm they would be able to tell you exactly what you need for the battery and for the ram and all laptop ram is sodimm