Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not boot

• Please log in to reply

htlizzy

htlizzy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This is my first time posting...tried to find the exact problem in the logs, but could not. My desk top HP seemed to be working fine, but one day I turned it on and it would only go to a screen that gave me two choices. (normal or safe mode) I tried both, but the system would act like it was loading and then return to the same page. HP phone help was not helpful and I got nowhere. I had them send me recovery disks and they did not work. Now, when I turn on the computer, I get a screen that says
Disk I/O error
Press a key to restart

Reboot and Select proper boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

I tried putting in the XP Operating System CD and booting from that, but I get the same message over and over again. This may be some simple fix, but I'm not computer smart. :tazz: Can anyone help me with this? Thank you.

Advertisements

couriejegels

couriejegels

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
hey man as far as i know if you boot up your pc and it says Disk I/O error it means that it cannot read your HD so it could be that it is trying to boot from the hard disk. Try going into your cmos and changing boot order at first boot device "D" drive then "A" drive and then the hard disk. Also check if the hard drive is being detected in the cmos. If you are not succesful there then check if the hard disk is maybe pluged in you never know.

get back if you need any more help!