Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP running slow

• Please log in to reply

smaloney

smaloney

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been running windows XP PRO on one of my computer. Recently updated trend micro pccillin internet security 2007. then loaded back windows spyware and worked fine for a time. Recently tried to download IE7 and in the process could not validate my windows so downloaded mublinder. In the midst of all this I was working on my laptop which had crashed and I reloaded windows on that. The next day came back and my regular computer booted extremely slowly and get this booted into the window opening for my laptop and when I right clicked and opened properties for my computer stated I was on an IBM thinkpad?? After that rebooted and was back to my window but the computer seems to check my additional hard drive every time. and then boots really slowly. After that the computer intermittently runs slowly. I have now uninstalled spysweeper and left trend micro on. by the way I had turned off the spyware portion of trend micro. I also have deleted the mublinder file for now. Not sure where to go next with this one?

thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

smaloney

smaloney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi

THanks for the advice I am working on it. I am running a raid mirror. I attempted to boot each disk separately and only one of the disks will actually boot the other one attempts to boot and then continually reboots if this gives any help

thanks

Sean

smaloney

smaloney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi

So I have attempted to do all of the functions that were recommended. Boot up continue to be extremely slow and system constantly attempts to scan an extra 80 GB hard drive during install but not my C drives? Also the chkdsk process took very little time to complete and stated my c drive was fine? System basically seems to stutter works for a bit and then stalls. Can click on the wallpaper and move around but can't get any reaction from the toolbar during a slowdown episode?

I wonder about a memory problem or hard drive problem?

thanks for any further help

Sean

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Change the drive letter to whatever it is for the drive windows keeps checking

Click start then run, type cmd then press enter

At the command prompt type fsutil dirty query c: (or the relevant drive letter). This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty.

Next type CHKNTFS /X C: The X tells Windows not to check that particular drive on the next reboot.

Reboot, it should load to the desktop

Once Windows has loaded bring up another CMD prompt and type Chkdsk /f /r c:

This should take you through the 5 stages of the scan and will unset the dirty bit.

At a command prompt, type fsutil dirty query c and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

smaloney

smaloney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi

Basically was unable to even run last commands as machine was booting so slowly. I basically disconnected my F drive and wallah computer boots just fine without a problem now running smoothly. Obviously related to corrupted F drive.

Thanks for the help

Sean Maloney