Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Moving Files Between Computers

• Please log in to reply

Enma_Ai

Enma_Ai

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay, first off, sorry if this is in the wrong area, I'm not very good at these things ^^;; :whistling:

Anyway, here's my issue. I have 2 PCs one a desktop, and one a laptop. Both run on Windows XP. I have a DVD burner on my desktop, however the majority of my video files are on my laptop, in fact out of 33 gigs, I only have 7 left, so I'd really like to get some of these movies onto DVD.

I know the simplest thing to do would be to buy a flashdrive or something similiar and just migrate the files that way, however I don't have 90 dollars or more to spend on a flashdrive.

Can anyone give me advice on how to move these files? Note, I just need to move some files, not all of them.

Thank you!! :blink:

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
crossovercable is probably the cheapest way, a few dollars, it is going to take a little explaining to do, but once you know how....

or if your computers are connected already by a rooter(networked) then you could open sharing that way

or you could buy a harddrive caddie and look around for any old harddrive( place the harddrive in the harddrive caddie) and it becomes a like a USB key but with lots more storage power

the trick is to go into the shop and ask the techy about these options
but in short, the more you know the less you pay

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Yeah, all you need to do is get a crossover cable (around $10 at best buy or circuit city), then run the windows networking wizard on BOTH computers. Just leave the default names and settings and you will be able to copy the files you want to a shared folder. Then copy them from there to where you want them permanently stored and go back and delete the files in the shared folder.

Edited by kidnova, 25 October 2006 - 10:15 PM.

Enma_Ai

Enma_Ai

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Crossover cable? So I can't use an ethernet cable?

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
If u look at the colors of the connecter of a rj45
(the cable that conects to the network adapter - in your case an ethernet cable)

u will notice that there are 8 wires in different collors.
some r solid and some r stripes.

a crossover cable means that if u hold the connectors on both ends in the same position and look at the colors in the connector if they r not identical than it is a crossover cable.
if the wires in the connector r identical it paralel and is not what u need in this case.

Enma_Ai

Enma_Ai

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Mn x_x; I think I'm just gonna have to wait til I have money for a flashdrive.

The whole cables, networking, etc thing confuses the [bleep] out of me x_x; o_O; I'm suprised I was even able to get my router working properly XD; .. Which is strange, we have 2 computers hooked up to one router, and yet, nothing is shared, unless it doesn't count if one of those connections is wireless.

XD;; I'll save myself and everyone a huge headache and go look for a cheap (as in low priced ) flashdrive.

At anyrate, thanks for the help everyone.