Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

memory upgrade problem

• Please log in to reply

luckyboym

luckyboym

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello, I just installed 2 x 1 gig ram sticks into my comp, but my system isn't picking up all of my memory. I had 2 gigs and added 2 gigs so I should see 4 right? Well, the comp says I have 3.25. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
32 bit windows will not usually recognize more than 3G if RAM. If you're running 64 bit windows then it should see all of your installed RAM. Otherwise, you'll have to wait until you upgrade to Vista.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what motherboard do you have...what chipset...those will also determine what you can install

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
kidnova is correct on what he said. It has nothing to do with what motherboard it is in this situation but some motherboards do only allow up to a certain ammount but those are the older mobos.. Any of the newer mobos with 4 slots is going to support 4gb of ram atleast.

32 bit windows is the problem.

luckyboym

luckyboym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
So, Vista is the only solution?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
In addition to 32 bit windows....this indicates that the mobo can also effect the amount of ram seen

some users will notice that not all physical RAM installed on a workstation is "seen" by windows. Right click on "My Computer" and show properties. It is common to see say only 2.75GB even though 4GB is installed. This is called "The Black Hole". The reason for this is, PCI-Express. The BIOS of your workstation will take physical RAM away from windows to use as a buffer zone for the data transfer to PCI-Express devices, regardless of whether you have PCI-Express devices or not. The amount the "black hole" takes is relevant to the amount of RAM installed - the more RAM, the bigger the black hole.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Actually, a whole lot of the socket 939 (and a decent chunk of the 775s) that came out fairly recently had a major BIOS issue where they would either a. Not recognize the third stick of RAM properly, or b. Read all 4 GB of RAM, and clock everything down for some reason. The reputable motherboard manufacturers released a BIOS update to fix the issue. You're looking for the words, "Added support for larger memory configurations."