Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Freezes after loading agp440.sys file

• Please log in to reply

Strange Brew

Strange Brew

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Had a problem with the PC freezing up - after a few seconds... thought it was something to do with Paging file size - with the NTFS HDD. Changed over the HDD to a FAT32 one, with XP Pro SP2 on it also.

Initailly, it got as far as the black background "Windows XP Pro" loading screen. The "activity" indicator bar stopped moving.

Then tried to reboot in "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" , and the system appeared to stop on-or after - the agp440.sys file loaded.

DEtails of PC:

It's a fairly old 2002 Intel Pentium 4 1.5Ghz processor...not over clocked or anything!
The motherboard has an Intel i845I chipset, and is manufactured by Chaintech.
The Award BIOS is dated june 18th, 2002 and had the ID: i845ITE8712-JA69VC0CC-00
It has 512mb memory
and almost 40GB freespace on a new -ish HDD

MSI brand video card, nVidea GEForce FX5200

Any ideas what to try next?

Edited by Strange Brew, 26 October 2006 - 02:33 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
CAUSE

This issue may occur if Windows XP tries to use an incompatible motherboard chipset video driver during startup.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue, follow these steps to disable the Agp440.sys service.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;324764