Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System restore freezes after loading Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

limeman

limeman

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I have a backup Emachine PC - needed to restore system - ran emachine restore CD's - process works great, it goes through formating my drive then installing windows, system reboots then asks for date, time, etc... - When it asks for computer name and computer description, no matter what I type in, when I hit next it freezes - the screen fades slightly and an hour glass (mouse icon) comes up - I have let it sit for 2 hrs and it just sits there. The hard drive light blinks on and off the hole time. When I shut it down and try to reboot, it starts the windows setup process all over again (time,date,name). there is also a skip button on this step, when i hit skip it does the same thing.

I have read articles on the net saying that people have had this problem and switched hard drives but came up with same problem. therefore, i did not try that. But I am willing to try anything at this point, please help.

By the way, I have disconnected everything but the necessities from the back of the PC.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, welcome to this site
remember we are working blind so bare with us
to help others reply to your question
if you haven't mentioned it yet:
- what model of computer
- what os, XPpro or home
- how old is it

to topic then
- by system restore you mean that you used computer supplied restore cd and not system restore
- what type of restore disks are they

limeman

limeman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Thanks for the reply

Emachine
XP home
3 yrs old
This is a complete restoration CD that wipes the drive clean and completely installs Win XP and all programs.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I am thinking or ram, or mobo battery
questions
- is this the first time you have use this cd

pbrowse

pbrowse

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the exact same problem after trying to partition the drive, it failed and screwed up the partition so had to reload. Just like yours, it hung at setting up hostname. I called emachines support, Had a 5 minute wait, and talked to Athena (goddess of pcs no doubt). She was very professional, helpful and well, nice. She waived the $20 fee since this was my first time calling the help desk. I was a little startled after reading all the bad press and horror stories from various sites. She instructed me to reboot and tap the F8 key to get to the Advanced options menu. Select Enable VGA Mode, select the OS, OK at the next selection and cancel at the one after that. You should be able to follow through after that. Good Luck. I'm patching mine back together as I was able to mount the drive with linux, copy files from the read only ntfs XP partition to a win98 fat32 drive. Then move the drive to a win98 system and mount it on xp over network. Whew! I'm gonna go buy a backup utility.

limeman

limeman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Yes, Enabling VGA mode is exactly what I had to do. Thanks everyone for your input.