Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't respond to power button

• Please log in to reply

majackson

majackson

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I just turned my PC on (self built about 8 months ago MSI K8N Neo4 mobo, AMD AthlonX2 4200, Antec Sonata II case and power supply, XP Pro os). This computer is used for tracking stocks. The software program is set to retreive graphs. It began intermitantly switching to different graphs without being instructed to my me. Shortly after that the mouse stopped responding. The cursor was visible but would not move. I had to shutdown by control+alt+del. When I hit the power button it would not powerup. I have checked the seating of the mouse jack, checked the seating of the power cord, have switched the power plug to a different outlet on the UPS and plugged directly into the wall outlet by-passing the UPS. The power indicator in all instances shows a very faint flicker but the system does not powerup. It has run flawlessly for about 8 months, is not overclocked and works in a cool room.

I would be terrbly surprised if it was an overheating issue. The two most likely culprits would seem to be the mobo and the power supply. Given the behaviour before shutdown I'm leaning toward suspecting the mobo. Does anybody have any suggestions short of taking this someplace to have the mobo or power supply tested? Is there away to sort this out without going to the shop?

Advertisements

andy

andy

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
No you need to get the psu tested first, sounds like it might have blown hopefully not taking the mobo with it

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Okay, I took my system down to compusa and they checked the power supply and it is fine. That would appear to mean my mobo failed. It is still under warranty but I'll have to send it back to MSI.

I've stripped the board down and have it out. The only thing left to do is separate the heatsink and pull the processor. I have relased the latch on the heatsink but it is really stuck tight. I assume it is the thermal paste sticking it to the processor that is making it so hard to remove. What suggestions does anyone have on safely separating this thing. I've never done this before.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It can take some doing to get the newest glue type thermal paste to let go. Twist and pull pretty hard to see if you can get it loose. If you worry about using too much force use a hair dryer to heat the bottom of the sink up to see if you can get it loose. Usually a good firm twist and pull will do it. It can be heck to clean these new pastes. I had to use acetone to clean on the other day. Use rubber gloves and do this in a well ventilated area if you use acetone. Be careful to not leave it on the motherboard backboard as acetone will soften fiberglass resin.

SRX660