Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Crashing

• Please log in to reply

MorningRayn

MorningRayn

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well, my computer keeps crashing whenever I try to load up various videos and games. (Warcraft III in specific). I get a blue screen for half a second and my computer immediately resets.

Well, I opened up my computer and I saw this dent on this big stack of metal plates next to the fan (I don't know the name of it). Is this a serious problem?

And if this isn't what's causing my crashing problems, could someone possibly redirect to a better forums to find help? (I've checked for viruses and stuff - haven't posted a Hijack this log, though - should I?)

EDIT: Also, I wonder if it's an issue with my video card. A week or so ago, I was tinkering with it. I tried taking it out so I could switch it with a different one, but I couldn't pull it out. It seemed to get stuck half way so I just pushed it back in. Maybe I damage my video card?

Edited by MorningRayn, 26 October 2006 - 01:12 PM.

Advertisements

StudentBusiness12

StudentBusiness12

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Im not really any good with this sorta stuff but, i experienced the same problems when my processor was overheating. Maybe its overheating.

HPDV8315LOVER

HPDV8315LOVER

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
What kind of Video card do you have? And what kind of Power supply do you have? It could the power supply if you have a 250 watts Power supply.

MorningRayn

MorningRayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I'm using an Nvidia GeForce 6200 Turbocache.

How do you find out what your power supply is?

Maybe I should also mention that my computer does not crash running the game Guild Wars which requires a better computer than Warcraft.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Look at the stickers on the power supply they should tell you how many watts it is.

MorningRayn

MorningRayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I don't know where it is. :s

MorningRayn

MorningRayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well, I just figured out where my power supply is and it's 485W.

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
For some reason I get the idea that the heatsink is dented, which, in turn is causing the CPU to overheat under excessive load. Any change I can get a picture of the inside of your computer, more specifically of the dent?

--bmwboy

MorningRayn

MorningRayn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
It is the heatsink. I did some research (wikipedia) and found that it's called the heatsink. It's a very small dent. I can't get you a picture but it's like maybe... if you took something sharp and pressed down on it. It looks like a sharp indent and it doesn't go down far enough to touch the plate under it (it's only the first plate that's dented). It maybes goes halfway into the normally empty space. The two below it are actually slightly scratched/dented, I must've hit it by accident while tinkering with my computer.

Also, I just (accidentally) tried loading the expansion with the non-expansion CD up again today. And it worked fine. I hit the wrong button on my desktop and I was freaking out 'cause I was working on an essay and was half expecting to lose my data. Also, my computer has been on all day long.

So maybe it's somehow fixed? :whistling: Or just a one time fluke. I don't really feel like having my computer crash again so I don't think I'll test. >_>