Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Run: MSCONFIG

• Please log in to reply

Max Power

Max Power

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
First thing, is there a way to make the System Configuration Utility window larger? Why does microsoft put a limit on some widow sizes? Anyway, on to the more important stuff:

What things can I disable / uncheck in the different submenus?

How do I know what I can disable in the SYSTEM.INI menu or WIN.INI or BOOT.INI and especially in the Services menu? I've got the Startup menu figured out... the rest I need some advice on please. :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what exactly are you trying to accomplish here? as a general note...don't touch anything in the boot.ini unless you know what you're doing and you know that it will get you what you want (i can't see a reason for you to modify boot.ini on a working computer)

Max Power

Max Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I want to speed up the performance of my system. I recently installed Norton Antivirus and it takes forever now for windows to load and be ready for use.

I already went through the XP tweaks that is pinned in one of these posts on this forum. I want better.

Not to be patronizing but I didn't ask for advice solely on Boot.ini. If I don't have to touch it, good.

What about the others?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I want to speed up the performance of my system. I recently installed Norton Antivirus and it takes forever now for windows to load and be ready for use

make sure that norton isn't set to do a startup scan...this can slow down startups

the reason i stressed the boot.ini first is because...well it's a simple deal...don't monkey with it...

there's not going to be much (if anything that you can really modify in either system or win that's going to help speed up startup....as the things that load in startup are the ones taht are going to slow you down....the stuff in system and win.ini are more services and things that windows uses to run (some programs will put stuff here as well..)...most of the things that are in these tabs are going to be "required" for one reason or another...

if you notice pretty much everything in system.ini is driver related...so you start messing around in there...and well...things will stop working

win.ini holds things that control how windows handles certain things and alot of the internal functions...not really something to mess with

as i said above...these two tabs arent' going to effect startup speed much if any

Max Power

Max Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Okay, that is useful. What if I see entries in regards to programs I don't even have? I'm sure it would be okay to delete those, no?

So what about under the Services tab? What can I enable / disable there?

Is this trustworthy: http://i.i.com.com/c...be_disabled.pdf

Edited by Max Power, 26 October 2006 - 02:02 PM.

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Just an ider but why dont you use a diffrent more reasorce friendly AV scanner. I would in a computer shop as a computer tec and we always unistall norton/mkaffe and install the following programs.
1. Spybot
2. Ad-Aware
3. AVG Anti-virus
4. Windows Defender

These work great and dont slow down your system, and as for a services go try google they have load of good pages.

Max Power

Max Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Well, I recently paid for 2 years membership with Norton so I'm gonna use it until it's up. After that I'll consider using all the free stuff.

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Ok well out of those only AVG in anti-virus use the other 3 too as the ace and for more spyware/adware/malware.
As for speeding up your system how much RAM do you have and what size page file do you have?

Max Power

Max Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have 512 MB of RAM. I have 1024 MB page file.

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Well then allthough you might not like it norton will slow down your system epecily when it startes up, however you may way to use bootvis (from microsoft) just to make sure that your drivers are making it even more slow as they may need updating/changing for best speed.

Max Power

Max Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
How do I use Bootvis?

Haz

Haz

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
The should be a read me with it if not for a walkthrough ask google.