Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Be or be not Legal

• Please log in to reply

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Hey GeeksToGo,

As you might know i am running XP Home, spanish, SP2. My dads computer is an English XP Pro version. His COA sticker clearly states it is usefull for 1-2CPU's.
To be more specific it says:
Windows XP Professional 1-2CPU

If i understand that then i can install another copy of XP another machine using that key right?

The computer is a sony Vaio, OEM version i believe..., no XP CD although i could make one from HERE and install it on my machine right?

Could i make that CD, slipstream XP SP2 which makes the setup file and readme, etc. and install it on my other desktop XP Home machine, of course reformatting my desktop, and use the XP key on my notebook for the installation?

-OCM770-

Advertisements

Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Hey GeeksToGo,
If i understand that then i can install another copy of XP another machine using that key right?

NO, it means that XP Pro is licensed for use on a machine with dual processors, NOT 2 seperate machines, each with their own CPU.

Edited by Jack Hackett, 26 October 2006 - 03:39 PM.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

NO, it means that XP Pro is licensed for use on a machine with dual processors, NOT 2 seperate machines, each with their own CPU.

You are WRONG, this machine is kind of old, sorry for not specifying but it was released when not even Pentium D was available so that is technicaly impossible, besides that machine is running on a Pentium IV processor.

So can i do what i wanted to do on post #1?

-OCM770-

Edited by -OCM770-, 26 October 2006 - 03:50 PM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
oem version of XP belong to the maker meaning that they would not work with a normal XPcd, and I imagine that upon activation it would not pass because oem licence key is set for the maker part whereas a normal XPcd isn't. It is unfair I know but buying a machine with XP installed is not the same as buying an XPcd with licence

Saracen

Saracen

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
From what I understand (Although I could be proved wrong !!) , A Windows COA authentication code can only be active on one machine at any time, once that machine hits the dust then you can transfer the serial to a new machine, except if it is a OEM version of Windows, then the COA will only run on one motherboard or until you do a major upgrade. As for Windows XP Professional 1-2CPU - Im unclear on this..... As you mentioned its too old for Dual Core, but could this COA be for Dual Parallel Processors instead - does your dads computer have a pair Xeons of inside?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

You are WRONG, this machine is kind of old, sorry for not specifying but it was released when not even Pentium D was available so that is technicaly impossible, besides that machine is running on a Pentium IV processor.

So can i do what i wanted to do on post #1?

you quite probably have your facts wrong....for quite some time there have been dual processor systems...not DUAL CORE...but dual processors...as in...two seperate CPU's on one motherboard...this was (still is) most common in server type systems...but sony (since the inception of the vaio line) have been including dual processors in some of their HIGHER end laptops because of the advantages for video/photo editing (which is what the vaio is for) there are/were MANY vaio's made with DUAL processors throughout the span of the model line...even before the pentium D....remember...dual processor doesn't mean DUAL CORE...compeletely different concept

as was stated...the licnese that you're seeing for "1 to 2 processors" is in regards to 1 to 2 processors on the same board....not 1 to 2 processors in seperate machines...so...no you cannot use this license to install the OS on another system (in fact to my knowledge nothing short of a volume license key will allow you to install XP on more than one machien at any given time)

Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

-OCM770-

No Im NOT, I am quite correct in my statement, try reading the EULA for XP Pro

you may install, use, access, display and run only one (1) copy of the SOFTWARE on the COMPUTER.
The SOFTWARE may not be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time on the COMPUTER, unless a higher number is indicated on the Certificate of Authenticity

Edited by Jack Hackett, 27 October 2006 - 10:26 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Hey GeeksToGo,

As you might know i am running XP Home, spanish, SP2. My dads computer is an English XP Pro version. His COA sticker clearly states it is usefull for 1-2CPU's.
To be more specific it says:

No. It's tied to that machine only. The fact that it says its useful for more than one CPU is irrelevant as that would only cover systems that either use dual-core processors or systems that have support for dual (more than one) processor.

The computer is a sony Vaio, OEM version i believe..., no XP CD although i could make one from HERE and install it on my machine right?

No. Read the article again, it requires you to copy files from your XP CD-ROM.

Could i make that CD, slipstream XP SP2 which makes the setup file and readme, etc. and install it on my other desktop XP Home machine, of course reformatting my desktop, and use the XP key on my notebook for the installation?

Yes and No.
If you have access to a pre-SP2 CD, you can slipstream it to SP2 standard, but it doesn't alter the fact that you legally cannot use the notebook key on the desktop machine. You must buy a separate licence.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

No. Read the article again, it requires you to copy files from your XP CD-ROM.

Yes, it does say that, but, i used the i386 folder from C:\WINDOWS\i386 and it created the CD succesfully, i tested it and it worked.

As for my dad's computer it has a Pentium IV sticker on it with a little "m" on the right part of it.

The SOFTWARE may not be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time on the COMPUTER, unless a higher number is indicated on the Certificate of Authenticity

This kind of approves what i want to do...

unless a higher number is indicated on the Certificate of Authenticity

The sticker states 1-2 CPU, i don't think this means dual core or two CPU's on one PC, of course, correct me if i am wrong....

-OCM770-

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Just to end this pointless conversation, it would be illegal if you tried to use the cd key from the COA sticker on one machine with another machine. You would need a volume licensing agreement to use the same windows cd key on multiple machines, but even in that case each machine would get it's OWN coa sticker with different cd keys on them in the case of having to reformat the machine in the future.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 27 October 2006 - 10:27 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
OEM licenses are VERY specific, they are valid ONLY for the machine they were originally installed. You can never install it on two system, or even decommission the original system and use it on another.

If I recall correctly, there is one case where a version of XP can be installed on two systems. The RETAIL version of XP Pro allows the same license to be installed on both a desktop AND a laptop.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Pardon me, but I think you are confusing XP Pro with MS Office. XP requires a volume license to go on more than one machine, but Office can be used on a desktop & laptop.
Johanna

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You're correct. I knew I was fuzzy on the details. :whistling:

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
ok thanks, i'm glad i got that out of the way, i guess an admin can close this forum now

-OCM770-