Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Choosing An Operating System

• Please log in to reply

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Hi,

I have an old Gateway 2000 computer with about 32mb RAM, 40Gb hard drive, The bios version is 1.00.04.CST1, I also have a 11mb wireless card that I want to use. Note: I can't boot from things Windows XP CD, I get a message: Cannot boot from CD, Code 4" This might be because I need a BIOS update, but when I try that and follow directions from Gateway it always seems to fail. With all of this information, what would be the best operating system for me (Windows version, linux-based, anything) I mainly just browse internet, check email, etc...basic stuff. I don't want it strictly command based, I want a graphical interface. I would appreciate any recommendations on the best operating system possible for me.

Thanks!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts

32mb RAM

is your biggest problem XP needs much much more, our gonna have to go quite far back to get a windows OS, Win95 or maybe 98 it the closest youll be able to get to windows and i wouldnt reccomend that.

So i think slax, pupply, or DSL linux distros are youre best bet these are the smallest and made for systems with not alot of memory or hard drive space. There is also a version of ubuntu that has much lower requirements but i dont know if it can work with that little memory.

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Oh my bad, I misread my computer. It said it was using 32% of 64mb ram.

Hope it helps!!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You are better with 64 its not as iffy which linux distros will run but youll still be stuck with something ancient if you want windows. My original suggestions stand, if you use the alternate install CD instead if live you can install xubuntu or one of the other Ubuntus although on that system i think ony xfce and enlightenment will work well enough but its a push wether you could use the big OSs.

Slax should run well ive used it and its pretty decent.

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Well can you answer my next question? I can't boot from Windows 98 SE Installation CD directly. I have to put in a Win98 startup disk and type from the floppy disk type "setup.exe" and then the cd kicks in. I can't load a Linux distro install cd directly, but is there a floppy disk that I could type a command and make the linux install cd run????

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
I guess it would be called something like a linux startup floppy if there is something, I also found something that might be a linux startup floppy of some sort. http://www.compusmar...ps08_index.html

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If a floppy boots then a CD should, make sure you have CD above floppy in boot priorities. In days past you wouldnt however most now that CDs are being used more in roles that once went to floppies you should put CD boot first.

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Like I said, My computer is quite old and a bios update usually fails. My bios version is 1.00.04.CS1T quite old. On Windows CD's , I get a "Cannot boot from CD-code 4" message. On Linux Cd's I get message saying something along the lines that the cd can't boot. Yes, cd is configured to boot first then floppy, the hd. Some cd's can't boot however, such as "Hiren's Ultimate Boot Cd" and then some require(since my computer is so old) a command from a startup floppy disk to start such as my Windows 98 SE cd. That's why I was wondering if there was a floppy startup disk for Linux, specifically for Slax.

Bartender

Bartender

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Sounds to me like the optical drive is starting to fail. Only you can decide if this old machine is worthy of further expenditures...

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Um....what is an optical drive? And could my problem be a very old BIOS can't boot the cd??

Advertisements

Bartender

Bartender

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Optical drive means your CD or DVD drive. I didn't mean to be confusing, it's just easier to call it that. Since CD/DVD drives use a laser to read/write they're called optical drives. Hard drives use magnetism to read/write.
I don't know, it could be your BIOS but I kinda doubt it.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You can get a little utility called Smart Boot Manager which loads onto a floppy and allows you to boot from any device in your system. Some older machines just don't boot from the CD no matter what you do, SBM lets you boot. It comes in the form of a disk image which has to be transfered to a floppy. You can use Rawwrite for Windows to do that.

BTW, if you're running any form of Windows past 95 you will need to double your memory for good operation.

ddiddy40

ddiddy40

SPAMMER

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
Thanks, That actually let me boot some of my cd's that I have.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
what kinda ram do you have? im getting a few sticks of 64mb free from a friend i could send ya a stick or 2. their desktop ram

exinark

exinark

• Pip
  • 7 posts
The Gateway Gateway 2000 Desktops 3SX-33 uses 70ns type memory and has 2 bank(s) of 1 socket(s) each for a total of 2 memory socket(s) . The Gateway Gateway 2000 Desktops 3SX-33 comes standard with 4/8MB of RAM and supports up to 32MB of RAM with NONE of that in Fixed RAM.
http://www.edgetechc...e.asp?cid=18133

and then

* Processor: Intel 266MHz Pentium II processor with 512k Cache
* Memory: 128MB SDRAM
* Graphics Accelerator: AccelGraphics Permedia 2 AGP 8MB Video Card
* Hard Drive: 6.4GB Ultra ATA hard drive
* Case: E Series Mid Tower case
* Keyboard: 104+ Keyboard
* Mouse: MS IntelliMouse & Gateway mouse pad

Additionally, this PC also includes 3Com's Ethernet card, factory-installed Win95, Toshiba 12x-24x CD ROM drive, Toshiba 3.5" floppy drive and an Iomega Zip Drive. The monitor was purchased separately since I could not find detailed specifications of Gateway's house brand (Vivitron) monitors at its web site. Softwares were also purchased separately, which include WinNT, MS Visual Studio97 and Adobe PhotoShop.

http://www.mit.edu/~...photo/GWPC.html

whats the exact model?

Edited by exinark, 18 December 2006 - 07:42 PM.