Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

In desperate need for help...

• Please log in to reply

autiger678

autiger678

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok I have a gateway notebook that i purchased in August. It ran well, very well for almost three months. However, in the last week it is EXTREMELY slow. I mean I can't even run a video on Windows Media Player without it skipping and the sound being distorted. I have run adaware and found nothing but tracking files which I have deleted each time they've come up. The same goes for Spybot S&D. I sent my HJT log to the other forum, however they told me they saw nothing in there to make this happen. I've taken unnecessary items off of the startup menu. I've defragged and I'm currently in the process of the Disk Cleanup. This is extremely frustrating and if you have any suggestions it would be MUCH appreciated.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi autiger678...

Click Start, then Run, type prefetch, then press "Enter", click "Edit", then "Select All", (all files will highlight), right click any file, click "Delete", confirm, then reboot.

Download, install, and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run "Tune Up Disk Clean-up"

Run "Tune Up Registry Clean-up"

Click "Optimize and Improve" to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then reboot.

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors.

The following are suggestions for making the most of the free trial.

After the reboot, click "Optimize", then "System Optimizer" to optimize the computer, select "Computer with an Internet Connection" from the drop down menu...this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click "Optimize", then "System Optimizer to Accelerate Downloads" and select the speed just above your actual connection speed...this also requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click Optimize", then "System Optimizer" to run "System Advisor".

See if this helps you machine's performance.

wannabe1