Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CS:S wont start?

• Please log in to reply

amateurNeeDhELP

amateurNeeDhELP

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hey guys,

I just bought a new Alienware Sentia m3450 about a month ago and apparently there is no malware on it, but the strange thing is that I installed Counter-Strike Source, but it wont start. It actually goes into the loading screen, but then turns black. If i run my mouse over the presumable locations of the buttons, I can hear the runover sounds (the little clicks). I've uninstalled, reinstalled, and much more. Do you guys have any fixes to my problems? I'm sure its not anything wrong with my video card because people with the identical computer do not get these problems when they play CS:S.

Advertisements

Jazza

Jazza

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
what type of video card do you have

when you uninstalled it did you use a reg cleaner like ccleaner because it make a huge difference......Also check if your GC (graphics card) is supported by the game

superman07

superman07

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have the same EXACT problem with my source...i called dell and they said my system shoudl run it well...i dont understnad whats wrong..

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
try downloading the latest patches for CS:S and downloading the latest drivers for everything (especially your graphics card).

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
CSS is auto updated and shouldnt need patched, whats the spec of the system.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
i know, but if he can't get CS:S to work, maybe the auto-updater isn't working either.

and i'm assuming a month old alienware has the specs to handle CS:S. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Depends on the alienware i think sentias are laptop models, if the auto updater doesn't work steam would be broken and the game wouldn't start.

Discovered what is more likely the problem, the laptop uses Intel integrated gfx which I've never known to be able to play any decent games that require a fair bit of power to run like any source game, the GMA950 is one of intels best but its still only got barely enough power to run Aero and some other basic DX9 apps.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
It only has Intel's GMA 950?! I thought Alienware made gaming laptops, what is going on? That's the same GPU as the Macbooks!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They do make gaming laptops but they also make normal laptops for businesses which is what the sentias are, alienware actually has large government contracts in the US,UK and other countries and thats what the sentias are small and lightweight for people on the go. They do sell gaming laptops the sentias just aren't that model.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I didn't realise, I thought all of thier products were made specifically for gaming. I was debating getting one with SLi, but decided against it. Purely for battery life, size + weight.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They are actually very good in the low to mid end range they have better build quality than most of the other manufacturers in that market.