Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need an expert...got tough problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

clueless78

clueless78

• Pip
  • 7 posts
**sorry for all the reading, but its necessary***

I have a really bad issue(s) with this computer. Here are the specs on it:
3.2 GHz Pentium 4 Processor
2.0 GB PC3200 Ram
200 GB Seagate Hard Drive
Asus P4P800-VM Motherboard
6600 GT Video Card
Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2 (OEM version from my old Dell)

I have never had a problem with this copy of windows. I have ran it on my old Dell with very few problems… but my old Dell had to be retired and now I currently have this machine. The problems started almost immediately after I put this OS on the computer.
Here is the list of problems:

1. At start up at the login screen of XP I get this message: (this happens very rarely)
“Windows Registry Recovery
One of the files containing the system’s registry date had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful.”

2. At Start up and after login this happens: (this happens sometimes)
800X600 pixels (can’t change)
4 bit color quality (can’t change)
So I have to restart the computer and it seems to fix the problem.

3. At Start up and after log on this happens: (this happens everyday!)
Theme is changed from XP to Windows Classic.
I replace the “luna” files and it fixes the problem temporarily.

4. At Start UP I get this message: (this has happened only twice)
“Not a valid copy of window? Or Key?”
I can’t logon to a user so I just restart the computer and problem is gone.

5. This has been happening more frequently: I start the computer up from cold, and just after the windows loading screen it crashes and restarts… does this about 3 times before it loads up properly.

I have formatted/reinstalled XP twice now and it hasn’t helped. I’m clueless as to what to do with this thing anymore… I have done all kinds of scans and nothing has helped.

Some other info that might be useful: I ‘slipstreamed’ my OEM windows xp disc with SP2 so I don’t have to download SP2 all the time. I noticed the worst of the computer problems after I installed the new hard drive and extra 1 GB ram. Not sure if that’s coincidence or not?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi clueless78...

Your Dell OEM operating system is only designed to run on Dell machines...and then every model Dell has it's own drivers, thusly...it's own recovery cd. Missing or incorrect drivers are a part of the problem.

In addition, the OEM operating system installed on the Dell is meant to be installed only on the Dell. To install this operating system on any other machine is a violation of the EULA...making your copy of WIndows (when installed on any other machine) illegal.

Unlike a retail version of Windows where the cd and the license are yours to do with as you may, an OEM version stays with the machine...it stinks, but that's the way it is.

That being said, the Geeks to Go TOS (Terms of Service) prevents us from helping with illegal software, intentional or otherwise. As your current configuration is not legal, we can not assist you with this.

Your best option is to purchase a retail version of Windows or purchase a license for the copy you have. I would recommend the former due to the driver issues.

I'm closing this topic. If you feel I have been hasty in this, please feel free to PM a member of the Admin/Mod team to request it be reopened.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 26 October 2006 - 10:58 PM.