Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer dose not see new hard drive

• Please log in to reply

ihs365

ihs365

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just installed a Western Degital wd800jb 80gb ata100 hard drive,the bios sees it ,the device manager sees it,but
when I goto "my computer" it is not listed ,my os is windows xp,this disk drive is a second hard drive set up as a slave.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Go to your computer management/disk management and format the drive so windows can see it. Right now the drive is probably unformatted.

SRX660

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
clik start right clik my computer then clik manage and then clik disk managment and format the drive. might take a while be patiant.

ihs365

ihs365

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for your reply ,but I have bigger problem now , and cann't boot windows from my master drive,long story,but when I get windows up and running agian I will try formatting the new drive, ihs365 p.s. I'm doing this reply on a live ubuntu linux cd.

Dredginator

Dredginator

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Are you using a SATA drive? If so, the problem you are having is that windows is not set up to recognize a SATA drive. Fortunately its an easy fix! You simply need some drivers, which i have. If you need these ill be happy to email them to you. Believe it or not this is going to be problem for Windows Vista as well.