Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't shut down

• Please log in to reply

awk1203

awk1203

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
:blink: :help: The last few times I shut down my XP system, something strange occurred. Everything went normally right up until the last moment when the power was about to be shut off. The disk light came on solid and the fan remained spinning. That's how it stayed. If I need to shut it down I have press the power button for a few seconds until it shuts down. I am afraid that if I keep doing this it might damege my computer. I have no problem turning it on. Well as a matter of fact, all of the sudden when I turn on my computer it is asking to press Ctrl+Alt+Del in. Please help. :whistling:

Windows XP Pro SP2

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If your computer continues to do this, the next time you get ready to shut down, look in your taskmanager processes tab to see what is running. I would start with the last one and stop process on it and see if the computer shuts down normally. If not restart and then shut down the next process from the bottom. keep doing this until you do get a normal shutdown. Then go find on the net the last process you shut down does and see if you need it.

You can also go to the run command and type in msconfig and there go thru and uncheck programs one at a time to see if it is the problem.

http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

A third option is to restore your computer to a date that is before the problem started. This does not always work but is worth a try.

SRX660