Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cant install iTunes/Quicktime

• Please log in to reply

02rja

02rja

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hello i have recently uninstalled Quicktime and iTunes in order to update iTunes to the laterst version.

However when i install iTunes i get the error "Quicktime could not install, iTunes requiures Quicktime" I also have the professional version of quicktime, which, when trying to install seperately i recieve the error message - "Error -1608: Unable to Create InstallDriver Instance"

Posted Image

I understand that this is a problem with InstallSheild drivers, but i have followed the guide on their website and it does not resolve the problem. This may be because i cannot access "DCOM"

here is the guide that i followed - http://consumer.inst...d=Q108440<br />

i am running XP SP2

If you need any more info please ask, this is really annoying me because i really want to be able to listen to my music

thanks you

Rollo

Advertisements

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hello O2rja,

Here is another guide that you may follow to correct your problem seeing how the first guide didn't work.

iTunes - iPod Troubleshooting Installation

Hope this helps! :whistling:

Jrenter2

02rja

02rja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
hey, the link that you gave was the same guide that i followed the first time

i cant follow the second step because when i type dcomcnfg or dcomcnfg.exe into Run: then it says the file can not be found, i cant work out how to make this file available

thank you

i might just reinstall windows because i havenmt for 2 years :whistling:

Rollo

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hi Rollo,

Sorry about that...didn't realize that the link I provided ended over at the link you showed in your thread. If the DCOM file is your major issue and it isn't being found, have you tried to download it from MS...or look on your drive...other than being in the the c:\windows\system32 directory, there is normally 2 copies within the c:\windows\i386 and c:\windows\prefetch directories. Otherwise, you will have to reinstall your SP2 update.

Joe

02rja

02rja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
oh dear thats a bit annoying.

I have tried to download the DCOM files but i can only find them for windows 95 - 98 on the microsoft website :whistling:

I think i might do a reinstall, just to clean up my computer anyway.

thank you

- ill look for the files when i get home, which will be tomorrow.

i have another question, do you know teh difference between the proffessional edition of windows XP and the corporate proffessional edition.

thanks again.

Edited by 02rja, 27 October 2006 - 12:53 PM.

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

i have another question, do you know teh difference between the proffessional edition of windows XP and the corporate proffessional edition.

thanks again.

This particular question I am not verse on. You may post a seperate question on the board about that if you really want to know. There are Experts here that would better answer this question for you.

Jrenter2

02rja

02rja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
okay sure, sorry it was a bit off topic, how to i address it to the board then? (sorry i have only really used the malware forum before)

thanks

Rollo

Edited by 02rja, 27 October 2006 - 03:22 PM.

Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
Hello Rollo,

No problem. Just go and start a new post HERE!

Joe

02rja

02rja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
i have reinstaleld windows but now i have a much bigger problem :whistling:

ill start a new topic about that so you are welcome to lock this post

thank you